View Full Version : potasiumpikrate

leenl
February 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
hello,I have made potasiumpikrate by mixing potasiumcarbonate with pikricacid solution and let dry the precipitate,then I mix two parts pot.pikr. with one part potasiumpikrate(powdered),this mixture burnt extremely fast in the open air with a WHOMP!,like good flashpowder, is there anyone who knows about this mixture?

mongo blongo
February 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Are you from Mars??? :rolleyes:

Efraim_barkbit
February 29th, 2004, 05:39 PM
There just one thing wrong... You misspelled "www.totse.com (http://www.hotmale.com) " in the adress field of your web browser.

vulture
February 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Next time wear sunglasses because that test of yours severely affected your eyesight...

Sjeez. :rolleyes:

Dave Angel
February 29th, 2004, 08:21 PM
"two parts pot.pikr. with one part potasiumpikrate"

What are you trying to say here?

Mixing two parts of potassium picrate with one part of potassium picrate gives one larger part of potassium picrate unless I've missed something fundamental. Also notice how potassium picrate is spelt, this aids people when they are SEARCHing!

Since you have the potassium picrate, why don't you do a few tests and give us some data? Maybe that, and the fact that you at least capitalize "I" when referring to yourself, will save you.

leenl
March 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
ooh,I am so sorry,its my first post.
I ment mixing two parts by volume potassiumpicrate with one part by volume potassiumnitrate.

Bert
March 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
I ment mixing two parts by volume potassiumpicrate with one part by volume potassiumnitrate.

That mix is used for old fashioned pyrotechnic whistles.

leenl
March 1st, 2004, 04:49 PM
o.k thank you.

I was thinking maybe is it able to detonate,like the mixture of leadpicrate and potassiumchlorate that is/was used in firingcaps I believe.

mongo blongo
March 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Dude, try to use spaces when they are needed like -Lead SPACE Picriate and Potassium Nitrate. It just looks better. ;)

Blackhawk
March 2nd, 2004, 06:19 AM
"like the mixture of leadpicrate and potassiumchlorate that is/was used in firingcaps I believe."

If by firing cap you mean percussion cap I think they were MF and are now lead azide.

leenl
March 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
yes,thats true, I ment percussion caps,and I red somewhere that in rimfires they use sometimes mixtures of potassium chlorate with ddnp or lead picrate,and MF is also sometimes mixed with potassium chloraat.

kingspaz
March 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
leenl, for this shambles i will ban you. you have shown some hope though by preparing potassium picrate so the ban will only last 10 days. during this time learn how this place works and learn more about explosives. next time the ban may be permanent.

i have not made potassium picrate before. i have made sodium picrate though. it burnt pathetically with the odd crackle.

has anybody had any sucess sensitising AN type compositions with K-picrate?

T_Pyro
March 3rd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Picrates get more unstable as the atomic weight of the cation (metallic radical) increases. Sodium picrate, therefore would be less explosive than potassium picrate. Lead picrate, having the heaviest metallic ion, is the most explosive. The reason for this behaviour is probably that the metal - picrate bond gets more unstable as the covalent nature increases (this behaviour is similar to that of metallic azides).

SantasL.Helper
April 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM
what kind of picrates can be (sort of) safely used as primary HE, other than lead picrate?

2,4,6-TNP
April 20th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Dear Santas Helper,

Rosco Bodine and I had a long conversation about the use of picrates as primaries in blasting caps. The bottem line is there are NO picrates that will directly detonate a high explosive. However Diazodinitrophenol can and it is made from Picric Acid. I discovered that the most powerful picrate is Basic Lead Picrate and it will low order detonate. Picrates should not be considered high explosives at all, but rather low explosives capable of self-deflageration. I think basic lead picrate is best used simply to ignite a more powerful primary such as Lead Azide. I have tried and tried to get lead picrate to detonate picric acid, but it simply won't work and therefore it would certainly not be able to detonate a less sensitive high explosive. You would do best to learn how to make lead azide! You can get the neccesary Sodium azide from automobile airbags and you can make your own lead acetate or lead nitrate. Diazodinitrophenol is more difficult to make and is not as powerful as lead azide and you will have to figure out how to make sodium nitrite which is a pain in the ass. Mercury fulminate is also a good primary to look into, but you will need concentrated nitric acid and mercury is not always easy to come by. You'd do best to stick with lead azide as it is safer than mercury fulminate and more powerful and more easy to make, not to mention you will get an outstanding yield as compared to mercury fulminate.

SantasL.Helper
April 20th, 2004, 08:31 AM
How about trying to use Lead picrate to det something more sensitive, like NG and use a fireing train for detonating larger and more insensitive charges? You sure lead picrate doesnt detonates?

2,4,6-TNP
April 21st, 2004, 12:14 AM
Yes, Lead Picrate will absolutly detonate pure nitroglycerine, but even black powder could do that. You could use this firing train in the following manner: Take a small, threaded, iron pipe nipple (probably 2 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter) put one end cap on and fill the pipe 3/4 full of pure nitroglycerin. Next take a 9/32" aluminum tube, cutt it so it is 1 3/4" long and crimp it shut at one end. Fill the aluminum tube to the top with basic lead picrate and insert a waterproof fuse or electric match, now crimp the end. YOU'RE Now drill a hole in the other pipe cap the size of your fuse. Insert your lead picrate blasting cap into the nitroglycerine and carefully insert the fuse through the pipe cap and screw it on tightly. Don't let any nitro get on the threads or the friction of screwing it shut may detonate it! STILL Now put some wood glue or silicone at the part of the fuse going into the pipe and let it dry. You now have a small "bomb" that can be put into a barrel of ANFO or whatever other high explosive and it will detonate it. NOT Nitroglycerine is a good base charge, but like you see above it is not very practicle to use in a blasting cap, because it is a liquid. It can't just be put on top of the primary because you probably wouldn't get it to detonate with a fuse. USINGThe key to the above device is confinement and seperation. I got this idea for this device from reading about Alfred Nobels underwater detonation experiment were he put black powder in a vial and fitted it with a fuse. PARAGRAPH He then put it into a steal canister filled with nitro and water proofed it all and lit it and through it into a canal and the whole mass of nitroglycerine fully detonated. BREAKS!Before this he tried using glass beakers with a cork for the same purpose, but it failed to detonate. He concluded that the steel allows the neccesary pressure containment and hence confinement for the detonation.
NBK
Note: for the above device and the below actual blasting cap the lead picrate should not be pressed in but shoud remain loose powder, if it is pressed it may not be able to detonate.

A good firing train and a practicle blasting cap is to press 2 grams of dry picric acid into an aluminum tube, then press into that 2 grams lead azide, then on top of that 1 to 1.5 grams of lead picrate. This will solve the problem of lead azide's flame insensitivity. Kaboom!