View Full Version : tin tetracloride

selsel
June 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM
i searched everywere for a way to form SnCL2 or SnCL4 and i would like someone to tell me a way to make it withought to much mess.The only material i got is 95% Sn.

I want to use it as a catalyst to form tetrameric acetone peroxide

rikkitikkitavi
June 17th, 2002, 01:55 PM
SnCL2 is made through dissolving Sn in HCl. It is a strong reducant(oxidizes to Sn(IV)).

SnCl4 can be made by reacting SnCl2 and Cl2 in solution, or Sn and Cl2-gas. Other oxidants can probably be used to, but I dont know if they (or their reduced form) might interfer in the process of making tetrameric AP. SnCL4 hydrolyses easily to basic Sn(IV) compounds wich preciptates in neutral solutions, preventen by addition of some HCL.

/rickard

megalomania
June 18th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Here is a more detailed purification procedure to prepare quality stannous chloride, SnCl2, from "Organic Synthesis Collective Volume 3":

The most active and dependable form of anhydrous stannous chloride is prepared as follows: In a 600-ml. beaker is placed 204 g. (189 ml., 2 moles) of acetic anhydride (99–100%) and, while the liquid is stirred by hand, 226 g. (1 mole) of commercial C.P. crystalline stannous chloride dihydrate is added. This operation should be performed in a hood, for the heat of the reaction is sufficient to cause the acetic anhydride to boil. After about 1.5 hours, the anhydrous stannous chloride is filtered on a large Büchner funnel, rinsed with two 50-ml. portions of dry ether, and dried overnight in a vacuum desiccator. The yield is quantitative (189 g.). The product may be kept in a tightly closed bottle until it is wanted. The product secured by dehydrating crystalline stannous chloride in an oil bath at 195–200° is satisfactory in many instances but is not dependable.

Incidentally, this is in the wrong section. I have moved it to Chemistry Related.