View Full Version : Detonation? - Archive file

zaibatsu
October 13th, 2002, 09:28 AM
The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 08, 2001 09:09 PM
I made some AP putty using sp, pretty weak though. 2g AP to 8g Winchester Ball powder (20% just seemed like a good number to start with). After it dried I broke it up into small pieces. In burning it some would flare up, some burnt slowly, and some just made a crack sound. The crack didn't cause any ear ringing, but would often launch the piece about 3-4ft. Now I'm wondering if this was an actual detonation or was it a deflagration from with inside the pellet itself?
Ok just lit off some of my 20% AP putty. Damn, little to no flash, sounded like a low vel .22lr round going off, the whole thing probably didn't weigh 5g. Initiated with fuse pulled from a bottle rocket. There was no container or shell, just the AP putty itself. Now I'm assuming that what I just got was a detonation. Sweet, that had to be the smallest one I've ever gotten.

Anthony
posted January 09, 2001 02:31 PM
I think you've got too much NC in there, the detonation wave can't travel because the AP crystals are too seperated.
"I broke it up into small pieces" - Is that a good idea?!

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 09, 2001 06:35 PM
It was pretty rubbery when I pulled it apart, the whole lump was pretty small.
I loaded somme AP into a .22lr last night, I lit if off today and damn, loud enough to make my ears ring. I loaded it while it was pretty wet and didn't compress it much at all. I had probably around 50-75% shrinkage as it dried. Can the density be increased and shrinkage decreased by adding a filler? Are the recommended fillers or am I thinking of something stupid here?