View Full Version : Yet Another Black powder vs. Flash Powder

manslaughter
March 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM
OK. Im Just starting out with making pyrotechnics and explosives. Now im not a kewl and not gunna say i got sum black cats and sum smoke grenades how can i make Black Powder.No, Ive just ordered 6 pounds of Potassium Nitrate, 1 pound of sulfur and 1 pound of charcoal. Now im going to make sum black powder. But now im thinking, what about flash powder? should i make it instead and if so what would be the best way to make it and using what? I know i should start off small so i dont kill myself, but im guessing Flash powder isnt as bad as sum Dinitrodimethyloxamide or sum Erythritol Tetranitrate. Yes i am talking about BANG flash powder not a special effects FLASH salutes.

Cyclonite
March 5th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Its up to you, flash is more hazardous but iv never had an accident with it. Its easier to make than BP, although I have to say making some good BP is more rewarding than mixing some flash up. Just start with a 70%/30% mix of potassium perchlorite and some german dark respectively, I just put it in a bowl and turn until mixed well.

manslaughter
March 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM
i know kinda newbish, but ive heard of german dark before. What is it?o yes, whats the ignition point for it. high low?

a_bab
March 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Quote: "im not a kewl"

Well, you DO look being one indeed.
First post - a KEWL question.
Your spelling looks like hell (although you are american).
Did you read THE RULES ?

Kewl means (usually) a beginner. Even worse, an imprudent beginner. Since you are concerned about your safety, it means that you are not that kewl but still one of them. And probably a banned one...

bobo
March 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM
german dark = alu powder

nesler
March 6th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Oh Kee-ryst. "BANG flash powder"? Stay away from flash for now.

You do can do a much wider variety of things with black powder than you can with flash. Use it for rockets, mortars, fireworks, all sorts of great stuff. Flash just goes bang. If you want to prove that you're not a kewl, stay away from the stuff that goes "BANG".

...And don't spell some as "sum". If you ever spell "come" the way I think you would, god help you...

scarletmanuka
March 7th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Black powder has a huge charisma associated with it. For the average person it is notoriously laborious to make properly. However, high quality BP has almost limitles uses. Nothing compares to the smoke and fire released by good BP, and in this it's entertainment value is almost limitless.
Anyone can make good flash, but BP requires love and devotion. If you could achieve good BP, then you would have truely entered the pyrotechnics world. Check out Dan Williams site for what constitutes good BP (160cm/s unconfined!).
By starting of with BP first, it would prove that you have the commitment and devotion neccesary to enter this hobby.

yomandude
March 9th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty newbish with explosives and pyrotechniques and i never tried Bp but I've made flash powder before (was pretty cool) but it didnt really go bang...

does anyone know where to find a good recipie for Bp I got one from the anarchist cookbook... but i just dont trust that thing

EP
March 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM
If you can't find a proper "recipie" for BP, you shouldn't make it. Look in my profile, my site has some info and plenty of links on making it.

Arkangel
March 10th, 2004, 06:26 AM
I have to say that if this guy isn't a troll, then I'll eat my own dick. Are you guys seriosuly thinking that he's for real? And if so, why are you giving him any answers at all, and not kicking his ass? :confused:

Bert
March 11th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I have to say that if this guy isn't a troll, then I'll eat my own dick. Are you guys seriosuly thinking that he's for real? And if so, why are you giving him any answers at all, and not kicking his ass? :confused:

The pyrotechnics section doesn't seem to be held to the same standard as the rest of the forum. Or maybe no one's bothering to moderate it, or rate newbie posts. Pitty. That guy should have been kicked immediately FOR HIS SPELLING if nothing else!

dinkydexy
March 11th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Guys. I know dis is gunna sound kewl BUT I@M NOT A DUMBASS KEWL but how cud I make sum bangflash powder out of PVA glue and rabbit droppings? etc etc

Rhadon
March 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
It's a bit late to ban him, but better late than never! I'm sorry that I didn't see it earlier, but I was very busy in the last weeks. Reporting his post should have expedited banning him and closing this thread.