View Full Version : Ammonium nitrate and Potassium nitrate

Fatwiff
March 7th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Firstly, sorry. I know i'm not meant to post a new thread as my first post, but i've tried searching, but can't really find a straight answer. My question is, if I mix a little ammonium nitrate with petrol (gas), and then use a long piece of string coated in potassium nitrate/sugar smoke bomb mix as the fuse, will the ammonim nitrate detonate, does it need to be confined; ie. in tennis ball (no access to tubes, etc). Sorry if this smells of 'kewl', but I just need to know, as the pyrotechnics/smokebombs/small explosions are for an amateur movie. If it won't detonate, what's the easiest way to do so. Please bear in mind I have only potassium nitrate and ammonium nitrate to use, and would like to keep all my fingers. Thanks.

Hang-Man
March 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yes it will! But be carefull, it will also create deadly Dihydrogen Monoxide Gas due to the cross reaction between the two nitrates! :eek: . The best way to avoid this is to format your computer and cancel your internet subscription.

edit- Anyone notice that there has been a large influx in shitty posts/stupid newbies since NBK returned? Its allmost as if someone wants to make sure he has enough food. ;)

tjh
March 7th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Hang-man, what are you doing? Oh! I get it, he, he ,he, that was your sarcasm for an answer. :D

Hey, Fatwiff, AN mixed with petrol will not detonate with a fuse. Period. AN with any fuel is going to need a detonator or massive shock to set it off. This stuff isn't like the powder in a firecracker.

And as for the deadly gas? I don't even want to talk about that silliness, but I might warn him to be careful playing with matches!! He might burn his little fingers and get an oweee!!

Isn't anyone else reading this stuff?!?! :confused:

Dave Angel
March 7th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I'm so glad there is a banned for life section that all this crap can get moved to, preventing it cluttering up the other sections!

It makes me sad that gas is referred to as petrol here as this means fatwiff is most likely a fellow brit. And a tennis ball! For shame. Lets hope he's just a troll and isn't really that stupid.

If you knew that you aren't supposed to post a new thread as your first post didn't you also know to post it in the watercooler? Are newbie posts still moderated or did that get removed when the board software was changed?

(Hang-Man don't joke about Dihydrogen Monoxide, everyone who has come into contact with it has later developed cancer!)