View Full Version : My greetings, hello to the NeWb post.

MightyQuinn®
March 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
OK. Been reading here a little and have picked up some great information. Information that makes me glad I just got a divorce and can have all the hobbies I want. :D

I am keenly interested in dreaming of making my first batch of AP (acetone peroxide) as it seems an easy process and fairly safe to make (should one not be a complete jackass and follow all appropriate safety precautions)

Hopefully within the next few sleeps the dream should come to me…….

I also was hoping to dream about using some exploding targets (certainly 99% AN) I have for experimentation. They are Tannerite brand targets, and I am certain that folks here have discussed the contents of these ad nauseum.

I have already dreamed that I could set these bad boys off with something like, say a #8 cap, but am not motivated enough to obtain said caps.

Then I discover AP (acetone peroxide) and find that it makes a nice cap material, is easy to make and relatively sane to attempt.

My question would be this: If I am using say a pen cap to make a cap, and I fill it with AP (acetone peroxide) and insert the igniter of choice can I SAFELY use hot glue to seal the deal? I notice that people here tend to use empty shell casings for caps. What are the advantages and the method used to seal these? I assume crimping them would be the jackass way of sealing something with AP (acetone peroxide) in it? Also I read that AP (acetone peroxide) and metal are a no/no, so coating the inside of the casing with some paint or varnish would prevent trouble?

Please spare me the “search for it” routine, as I am fully capable of following the rules. I am more attempting to give a big howdy to all the kind folks willing to volunteer information to we with an insatiable urge to learn, create, and ultimately destroy…. :D

Hang-Man
March 8th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I don't 'seal' my caps. I just wrap tape around the cap and up maby 2" of the wick. And I would most certainly not use a hot glue gun on anything near AP.

None
March 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I think you are underestimating the dangers of AP. I think theres a big chance of hot glue, or the metal nozzle, setting off the AP cap while it is being made. I recommend you do more research into primarys and peroxides in particular. Peroxides aren't considered 'nice cap materials' by most people on this forum, and are only really ever dreamed of by people here because their precursors are extremely easy to obtain compared to most other primarys.
Also, a bit late now i know, but the mods don't really like introduction posts, even in the water cooler.
Good luck and keep it safe. :)

EP
March 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Using hot glue is definetly a bad idea... Use another type of glue like the puttys such as this sold at hardware stores:

http://krimzonpyro.com/ep/projectsdevicesdir/matchcobs1.jpg

They don't make any heat and dry very hard.

MightyQuinn®
March 8th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Guess I may have sealed the fate. Plan to keep reading, hopefully contributing.

Thanks for the warnings......underestimate it I won't.

I'll back away from the cooler slowly and go bury myself in the archives for a few days....

Anthony
March 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'm fairly sure that I've used hotglue to seal AP caps before. Best to test first, let the gun heat up for a good while (say 30 mins) so that it'll be at it's hotest, and poke the nozzle/squirt some glue into a little pile of loose AP.

You might risk a DDT, but with a small amount you probably wouldn't damage the gun, and a simple pair of goggles would stop hot glue possibly getting into your eyes.

Then use the gun in it's just-warm-enough state (shortly after plugging in).

I think I used to put a plug of tissue paper on top of the pressed AP to give some thermal isolation.

HMTD and most metals are incompatible, but AP is better. I'd coat metal with wax/varnish/spray laquer, just in case.

Of course, electrical tape (as mentioned above) works well if you don't need water proofing.

Cyclonite
March 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Hot glue is less hazardous, notice I don't say SAFE. Explosives are never safe... Hot glue doesn't reach the required temp for AP to DDT but always error on the side of caution. If it works for you, do it. Look at the properties of AP and don't say no one told you.

vurr
March 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM
sealing caps:cyanoacrylate seconde-glue or fast epoxy are more safe...