View Full Version : Glassware from ebay / can you help me identify these

zeocrash
March 11th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Ok i've just bought a shit cload of glassware off ebay for £45. some of it i know, some i dont.
This set includes 1 50cm leibig condender, 1 30cm double surfaced condenser, 1 test tube, and 1 soxhlet extractor (i'm not sure what this is used for)
here are the pictures of my glassware, see if you can identify any of it

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zeocrash2003/album?.dir=/8f97

Wild Catmage
March 11th, 2004, 07:49 AM
"Glassware 8" could be a Thiele melting point apparatus, but the tube may be too high up the container.

Lavoisier
March 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Glassware 1 looks like the soxhlet adapter, it is used to extract components present in a solid matrix like the essential oil from plants.

Glassware 2 looks like an intlet adapter with the valve missing, which is used to put a flask under vaccum or under pressure.

Glassware 3 is a cold trap, it prevents fumes from going into a vacuum pump when put in a dry-ice bath between your system and your pump.

Glassware 4 is a uncommon piece which might find its use as a small flask which can be put under vaccum with something on top of it, like an addition funnel.

Glassware 5 looks like an old long-necked flask.

Glassware 5a is a common flask.

Glassware 6 is a fritted funnel with ground glass joint, which serves in reduced-pressure filtration.

Glassware 7, 7a, 8 & 10 are rather weird pieces, which I don't know of.

Glassware 9 & 15 are glass stopcocks.

Glassware 11 is a valve that allows you to direct gas/pressure into one or the other tube present.

Glassware 12, 13 are condensers.

Glassware 14 is a test tube with ground glass joint.

Hope this helps you a bit!

vulture
March 11th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Glassware number 2 is a vacuum valve for a dessicator.

zeocrash
March 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
are you sure that 9 is a stopcock, it seems not to have ah enormous hole running all the way through it.
thanks for the help

anonymous411
November 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Why don't you get a couple of textbooks? No use having the equipment unless you're going to do your background research properly. I'm sure some of the experts around here can point you to quality pubs.

random136
November 5th, 2006, 03:38 AM
anonymous411, you should note the date of the last post made in a thread before posting a response. In this case the thread is over 2 years old, it is safe to say that your advice will probabily benefit nobody who posted above.

nbk2000
November 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
The Necromancer strikes again! :rolleyes: