View Full Version : Airbag

atr
March 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM
So my buddy just got out of emerg with a broken nose , a broken collarbone and a bashed in face . The accident folded in his front bumper and other than that caused no damage . The air bag is what dam near killed him . He drives a new GMC 4 x 4 and he slid off his icy driveway , into a tree at about 15 miles per hour .

I've read somewhere that 80% of the time when an airbag deploys the driver ends up in emerg no matter what the speed or lack of .

I drive a '91 Toyota extended cab 4 x 4 that has seen it's better days so i'm thinking of replacing it with a new one .

My trucks are bush trucks and everyone that i've owned has had the front end smashed up on several occasions jumping logs and boulders and fording streams . The last thing i want is an airbag deploying at 10 mph 50 miles from nowhere leaving me busted up and possibly not being able to make my way home .

I've talked to 2 Toyota mechanics that tell me there is no way of disconnecting the airbag as the onboard computer will not allow the truck to run . I've asked them about just bypassing the bumper sensors and they say , no way . I've asked about bypassing the airbag detonator and according to them that won't work either and i've asked about just removing the detonator without removing the airbag and apparently the computer will pick that up and shut the truck down .

I know a guy that runs a bodyshop and he says that he can not only remove the airbag and detonator but that he will also pay me for it . He says that he can run a diagnostic on the computer and reprogram it so that it believes the airbag and det are still in place and the truck will run just fine .

Last fall i was crossing a forest cut and hit a stump that smashed in the front bumper and i wasn't wearing a seatbelt . No belt , no bag , no problem . Had i been driving a new truck i probably would have ended up like my buddy with my face caved in .

Anybody have an opinion on this ? Can it be done , or not ?

+++++++++++++++++

Failure to capitalize I when referring to yourself (4x in 1 paragraph?!) and failure to use paragraph breaks are bannable offenses! This is your last and only warning.

Rhadon
March 12th, 2004, 03:12 PM
An airbag can indeed be lethal under some circumstances, especially if you're sitting very close to the steering wheel or are in an unfavourable position when it is set off. This is especially problematic for smaller persons, as well as for children on the passenger seat.

Usually the airbag will fill itself with gas before you make contact with it with your head. But under certain conditions it is possible that the bag hits your head while it's still filling itself up, thereby thrusting your head backwards and maybe braking your neck.

I myself wouldn't remove the airbag nevertheless. Unusually small persons can have the pedals positioned so that they can well reach them without moving too close to the steering wheel. But if want to get rid of the airbag, it should be removed completely and not only deactivated electronically (what seems to be possible). I read that a woman had the air-bag for the passenger seat deactivated because that's where her child used to sit in a child's seat. When she had an accident, the airbag was set off despite the deactivation and her child died in the process.

aikon
March 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM
There are those special kid seats wich are mounted on the co driver seats.
When installing such a seat the airbag must be disabled by a mechanic because an unfolding airbag is a life-threatening device for a kid.
To my knowledge it's enough to change the software in order to disable the airbag.
In general airbags are a good invention, but they only work appropriate when you're using the safetybelt.

Rhadon
March 12th, 2004, 08:11 PM
To my knowledge it's enough to change the software in order to disable the airbag. But like I said, it looks like airbags disabled that way can still be set off.

Bigfoot
March 15th, 2004, 11:17 AM
One way to permanantly disable an airbag is to amputate his legs...

But seriously, I find it incredible that a Toyota mechanic wouldn't be able to disable/remove and airbag. Ford is up front in their manuals about disabling the airbags, even include a switch in some models (Ranger for sure) to do it yourself. Permanently disabling the bag is doable at the dealership. I can't see why Toyota wouldn't have their people trained to offer at least that level of service.

What man can lock, man can unlock.

The man who says he can do it, might be straight with you about it. Caveat Emptor.

nbk2000
March 16th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I can't see why Toyota wouldn't have their people trained to offer at least that level of service.

One word:

LIABILITY

:p

Bigfoot
March 23rd, 2004, 04:23 PM
I guess Ford is into risk-taking, then. If you ask at the dealership, they'll kill the airbag for you for a price. As in, the manual says it directly, if you want it disabled, just ask! They do warn about the seatbelt being a catch-and-release mech., designed to work with a functional airbag. I never have anyone ride shotgun, so mine is always disabled. Been an airbag opponent since 1983. Why? Have pictures. No thank you, sir!

Ford Ranger, the #1 light truck in Minnesota, and thus the most inconspicuous!