View Full Version : AP used in bread making??

vulture
March 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
From Ullman's:

Bread flour also undergoes aging or maturing and concomitant improvement in baking performance with storage [103], [104]. The presumption has been made that aging is an oxidative process. If flour is stored long enough after milling, it slowly bleaches, supposedly because of air oxidation. Interestingly, high ratio cakes can be produced from nontreated cake flour if it is stored for about eight months. Recent reports suggest that also other mechanisms are involved in the aging of wheat and wheat flour. For example, the break down of the lipid bodies in the endosperm has been related to the aging phenomenon [105], [106]. In an attempt to speed up the aging process a number of oxidizing agents are added at the mill (azodicarbonamide, acetone peroxide, chlorine dioxide, and potassium bromate). These oxidants improve the bread-making potential of the flour, but do not replace aging.

Compounds with both bleaching and maturing effects include oxygen, ozone, chlorine, and chlorine dioxide. The improvers azodicarbonamide and acetone peroxide have been approved by the FDA for inclusion with their "Standards of Identity" for flour as bleaching and maturing agents. Acetone peroxide performs a dual function of bleaching and maturing.

In general, the level of potassium bromate, iodate, acetone peroxide, or azodicarbonamide added at the mill varies from 5 to 20 mg/kg; ascorbic acid is added at about 25 mg/kg; chlorine dioxide containing 20 % free chlorine is used at 15 mg/kg.

Oxidants vary in their oxidation potential and oxidation rate. Atmospheric oxygen is a slow oxidant; chlorine dioxide functions rapidly. Iodates, acetone peroxide, and azodicarbonamide act much more rapidly than bromates.

WTF? :confused:

MightyQuinnŽ
March 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM
but was afraid to post about it being a neWb and all.

It has to be the same compund, no?

pyrojunkie15
March 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Acetone peroxide is something you might want to search the forum on. You'll find out that it is unsatable and decomposes (as with all peroxides) so you can't store it. My guess is that the AP decomposes, helping in the oxidation of the flour and what is left in the flour is such a miniscule amount/not AP anymore that it doesn't matter.

tom haggen
March 12th, 2004, 11:40 PM
It doesn't sound all that odd to me, knowing that acetone peroxide is non-toxic. pyrojunkie who the fuck are you telling to search the forum? Anyone who has belonged to this forum for longer than 2 days know that acetone peroxide subliminates in normal atmospheric conditions.

MightyQuinnŽ
March 13th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Did I just get out-n00bed?

I gave up on AP somewhere between the reading and the dreaming stage.

On to safer/greener pastures.

Zeitgeist
March 13th, 2004, 01:09 AM
http://www.grokfood.com/regulations/172.802.htm

This is supported on dozens of food additive pages;

I wonder if home bread manufacture could be an excuse for AP manufacture and possession

nbk2000
March 13th, 2004, 03:30 AM
At 20mg/Kg of flour?

Unless you're Amish and grind your own flour, or run a bakery, you'd have no deniability.

Especially people like the (now dead) n00bie who makes almost a kilo a shot worth of AP at a time. At that rate, you'd have to own a grain silo facility to have plausible deniability for possession.

And this is old news as it's in the '99 archives. :)

T_Pyro
March 13th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Bread making seems to get more interesting all the time! I knew that NCl3 was once upon a time used to bleach bread, and was called "Agene". Its use, however, was stopped when they suspected that bread made in this way drove dogs mad! Weird... :rolleyes: