View Full Version : Ammonium Nitrate (AN) Based flashpowders

steve smith
March 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Anyone out there ever made an AN (ammonium Nitrate) based flashpowder? I don't want to know about flash powders with other oxidizers inside of them, primarily AN based.

If you do have flash mixs with AN, let'em rip. I have plenty of AN, and would like make some CHEAP flash.

Steve

~Phelixx~
March 13th, 2004, 03:54 PM
(A search might have given you the same answer)

The PFP Database has one flash, consisting of:
AN: 6
Al flakes: 70,5
Lycopodium* Powder: 23,5 .

*)Lycopodium Powder (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lycopodium%20powder) .

EDIT: Perhaps the Lycopodium powder can be substituted with something similar?
And don't forget, the AN is hygroscopic.

scarletmanuka
March 14th, 2004, 03:48 AM
In my kewlish days, I used to play with AN and filed Mg in 50/50 by volume, it would burn very fast, and was loosely put into empty bic pens to make rockets(very kewl, but they worked well, made a loud thump and sent the pen flying into the air). Not much of a flash from memory, but it didnt matter if it was a little wet. It is not even on the same magnitude as KNO3 or other metal salts.

steve smith
March 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Gee, this is NOT very promising..

Lycopodium powder is more of a theatrical effect. The powder is by itself sort of a flash. If you took the definition from what other people believe a flash powder is, in another thread, this powder by itself would be considered flash powder. If you were any somewhat in the pyrotechincal field, you'd know this is complete bunk.

Lycopodium powder(by itself) is more of a FAE, spread out in the air, then lite. The AN in this mix is giving the poweder the oxygen needed to burn, in a confined space. I can get ahold of the powder, but it is NOT worth it.

This mix you quoted above, is WAY to fuel rich. Only 6% AN???? shotty at best. I highly doubt it would even work. Maybe if you threw the mix into the air. Let's put vulture on the task of figuring out the OB on this mix.

I don't care abotu AN being hygroscopic.

Hmm, the Mg idea is good, but i would need more info than 50/50. Anything volume to me, BTW, is almost pointless. Different mesh size metals change dramatically in size, for the same weight.

Steve

Crazy Swede
March 15th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Mixing ammonium nitrate and magnesium powder is asking for trouble!

The hygroscopicity of ammonium nitrate will very soon make the mix moist and then the magnesium will be corroded under the evolution of heat. I hope you can figure out that this may lead to spontaneous ignition!

In my opion, ammonium nitrate has no place at all in pyrotechnics!

vulture
March 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Here we go again. Some of you people really need to learn that reading other peoples posts MIGHT just be benificial.

First, read my reply about combinations of AN + metal powders here: http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3772&page=1

It's got a detailed explanation about the dangers.

I don't care abotu AN being hygroscopic.

I don't know if you realize it, but this is a very dangerous attitude. AN + metal powders + water = spontaneous ignition.

Also, If I'm talking about flash, I'm talking about the pyrotechnic component, not about a sudden burst of light...

Let me give you the OB balanced AN/Al flash:
18,35% Al
81,65% NH4NO3

Keep this mixture ABSOLUTELY DRY!

EDIT: I might aswell include, because you probably won't bother rereading the other thread: Escaping NH3 gas (smell!) is a sign of exothermic decomposition. Dispose of mixture ASAP.

The_Rsert
November 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I have heard, that a fertilizer mixture of only 30% AN an 70% CaCO3 will make a flash with magnesium.
Is this true?

Mumble
November 20th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't. One can make a flash from Calcium Sulfate and aluminum, so why not. Magnesium can burn in the carbon dioxide produced, and the AN will just provide some straight oxygen to get the reaction going. I can't guarantee it will burn horrible fast by flash standards, but it may make a nice flash output and perhaps a salute. Well, there is only one way to find out if this works.

tmp
November 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Mixtures of AN + NH4Cl + Zn powder will ignite when water is added.
It's a classic mixture that I remember from high school chemistry.
This happens despite the fact that AN + H2O is endothermic.

Guerilla
November 21st, 2004, 01:21 PM
I've never read carbonates could be used as oxidizers or in any other way to improve burn. But then, even with such a "forgiving" fuel as magnesium, having such a great content of inactive component in the composition and yet functioning as a flash propellant, this would not make sense. Therefore Mumble's reasoning seems correct on this one, the use of carbonate should also eliminate the moisture sensitivity to some extent. If only aluminum could be substituted for the magnesium, this could yield an inexpensive flash/incendiary mix. The reaction might not take place as fluently though, due to a lower burn temperature.

It would be interesting to know how fast this burns, compared to say 50/50 BaSO4/Mg which gives a loud report with little confinement.

Pietruszkin
November 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM
...Let me give you the OB balanced AN/Al flash:
18,35% Al
81,65% NH4NO3

Keep this mixture ABSOLUTELY DRY!

ok, ok don't worry!
usually aluminium is 'coated' by stearin, so mixtures with this princible are relatively safe!
greet!

Pietruszkin
November 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
It would be interesting to know how fast this burns, compared to say 50/50 BaSO4/Mg which gives a loud report with little confinement.

i think this can work.. :)
pfp database tell about thermite based CaSO4 (gypsum, plaster, etc.), aluminium and sulphur.. :>
\greetz\

Joeychemist
November 27th, 2004, 02:36 AM
ok, ok don't worry!
usually aluminium is 'coated' by stearin, so mixtures with this princible are relatively safe!!

It dose not matter if there is stearin on the AL, you're grinding it up for flash. What little stearin coats the outside of the AL will only be a small fraction of the AL you use for the flash. So to quote Vulture;

AN + metal powders + water = spontaneous ignition.

I tried a mix today comprised of;

AN, 50%
Mg, 40%
AL, 5%
Cu, 5%

It was somewhat hard to light but burned rather nice giving off a bright white/purple flame with a hint of green from the copper. Not my favorite flash but its nice.

O! and Pie, if you're the last post on the thread try to use the edit button if you have something else to say or add to you're previous post. People might think your post whoreing with all the one line double posts you seem to be racking up. :rolleyes: