View Full Version : Building grappeling hooks

lawbreakingctzn
March 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have information or links on construction your own reliable grappeling hook?

any help appreciated, thanks

randall
March 18th, 2004, 12:21 AM
this site has a different design, two seperate pieces of sheet steel that come apart to fold flat. doesn't look like it would be too hard to build either- basically just drawing the pieces up to fit right and cutting them out. also it might be stronger than other designs (although maybe bulky) since there would be no welds to break

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/climbing%20gear%20main/trg_laser_hook_2_5.htm

fode
March 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Another option for a grappeling hook:
-go to your local outdoor store, check the dumpster, most of the time they will put tags on the thrown out items that tell you what was wrong with them
-find some shit
-return it for store credit, using the flaw as a reason
-buy some ice axes (2)
-either, attach them to one another with, carribeaners, or some climbing rope
-dont forget a harness and acension devices

Arkangel
March 24th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,200. Search took 0.21 seconds

What google told me when I searched for grappling hooks - including the site kindly provided by randall for you.

Think about it lawbreakingctzn, over seventeen THOUSAND results, in less than half a second.

So why exactly have you taken the time to start this thread, when you should have focussed your efforts on:

a. Searching

and:

b. Reading the rules

I mean, I know it's nice to get a friendly response from someone here, saying "I tried this", or "I did that", but that's really missing the point, ESPECIALLY on a subject as easy to research as this one. How about this (http://www.saa-intl.com/climb.htm) little beaut - took me 20 seconds, searching using "grapnel climbing products". There's even THIS (http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1054&highlight=grappling+hook) thread found in a search of this forum in another 20 seconds. What the fuck were you thinking?

I hope this doesn't signal "attack of the dumbasses 04/04...... :rolleyes:"

C'mon newbies - don't get yourself banned over something so trivial.

READ

THE

RULES

nbk2000
March 25th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Oops! I did it again, I stomped on a n00b!

Too bad for him, as he was just much of a law breaker to survive here. :p

Think about this carefully, people. Here you are, doing your best Bat-Man imitation, swinging from a rope at some height above the ground, trusting to your homemade |/\/\p%0\/iz3D grapple to not break and send you falling to your death.

Which, of course, does break, sending you screaming to a quick, but very painful, death.

If you are too lazy, stupid, and otherwise a grabbastic fucktard, to find premanufactured grapples for sale on the 'net that ACTUALLY WORK, and that are used by climbing professionals and special forces, then you've no hope of making such a thing yourself and NOT having it fail on you, resulting in yet another k3Wl death.

Though, if you are to die from anything you find on this site, this would be the best thing for all concerned, as it's not going to make the news as yet another "TEEN WITH BOMB DIES!" story that'll make real pyros look bad, and your family will still be able to have an open casket service for you...maybe...depending on how far you fall.

:D