View Full Version : DC++ Direct Connect

darkdontay
March 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I just got turned on to this less then about 4 hours ago. I have been currently questing for Dreamcast games and through IRC it has been very slow, while I have been on DC I have gotten about 8 and I have about 9 more in queue.

Now its use to us,

It seems to be a very nice reliable system. Must users comment they they have been running either Hubs/ or clients for days at a time with out crashing or needing to reboot.

I have downloading a Hub cleint and will try and set up a Hub for us.
You all should download the cleint and take ti for a spin. I think it could hold good use for use. Restricted user list [no public rapings of hosted files by net leechs] and many other options it seems very configurable.

Anyways hope this can be useed to our benefit.

-Darkdontay

Rhadon
March 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I also thought that DC++ could be suitable for us. As long as we don't use our forum usernames as nicks I don't see a problem and would welcome this as a method for spreading our files.

But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to restrict access. It's a great advantage in means of deniability if everybody can use the hub.

zaibatsu
March 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Just to chip in though, there are some of us who can't use DC++, as much as they would like to...

megalomania
March 18th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I have been using it myself in recent days, although it always seems like my files never download, but I end up uploading tons of stuff to the leechers :) Right now I am trying to find the movie Eurotrip on DC, of which there are many. The movie is not yet out on bittorrent.

A hub for Forum files would be great. I am about to just leave DC on 24/7 like I do with kazaa, edonkey, and selected bittorrent files.

darkdontay
March 19th, 2004, 03:13 AM
What I meant by restricted acess is that someone still has to act as the server.. and IT would allow the banning of lamers. Lovlely littel tool though is that you can have your Nick registered in the hub.. No lamers stealing your name.. Would be a sad sight to see NBK1874 because someone stole the nick, though you can have it reset I think.

Anyways it was just another medium that looked promising to our needs.

spidertard
March 21st, 2004, 06:38 AM
I think DC++ is the best download tool I have ever used !
Just go into about 5/6 hubs, and if you want ebooks, just do a .pdf search :)

I have already downloaded a few books:
- The Brainwashing Manual .pdf (lol :D)
- CIA's Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warefare.pdf
- chemistry_-_kitchen_improvised_explosives.txt (imo its not a cr4pboo|<)
- Secrets of lockpicking.rar
- U.S. Army - Pistol Training Guide.pdf
- US ARMY 3 - top secret defense - Biological Weapons Technology.pdf
- US ARMY 4 Chemical Weapons Technology.pdf
- US ARMY 6 Nuclear Weapons Effects Technology.pdf

If you guys are interested I could upload them to the Forum ftp :)

aXiate
March 23rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
i think a dc++ hub for this forum would be awsome!!

Digian
March 31st, 2004, 08:47 AM
Hi, I dont think it would be too difficult to have an IP filter linked onto the forums here and implement it into a dc++ server.

All you would need is a section of the forum to browse, with some script that grabs your current IP address, saves it to a textfile with userlist. It would only be a problem for dialup users who change IP a lot, but they cant really get much use anyway I guess.

With the list, just get dc++ server to update regularly from forum textfile etc. I have seen something like this will try and find it again for you guys.

Zerstoren Sie
April 21st, 2004, 06:00 PM
Not so related to DC++ but, still p2p. Has anyone checked out soulseek?? This may be ideal for this stuff. Soulseek seems to be mostly centered around music, but any file types can be shared. There's a user list, and it can be set up to only share with those on your list. You'll always know who's downloading from ya, and it's pretty easy to use. The only disadvantage is that the downloads are a direct connection, so the other person will easily be able to get your ip. Not the end of the world, but the isp and your general location can easily be found using that. If anyone would be interested in using this for sharing E&W related info, the site is www.slsknet.org. Maybe this will be a bit easier than using all these free file transfer sites like streamload.

Rhadon
April 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
I haven't tried Soulseek thus far, but it can hardly be compared with Streamload: If someone has new files which he wants to publish he's probably the only person who has it and therefore the only source for that file. In most P2P programs, a direct connection between two users is established, so if e.g. you want to download a file from me, your computer would get my IP address which isn't the case when we're using streamload. I know that it sucks, but at least it's halfway secure.

FUTI
August 25th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I have posted few days ago on some forum an idea about freenet project, if I were the first to write I will be proud :) that it seems that idea has gotten its roots since there is now a separate forum just for this subject. I also downloaded DC++ but idea to write here about it never came:)