View Full Version : Silicon foam explosive

nuclearattack
March 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM
This morning i was reading some news on www.esplosivi.it (an italian site about mining and demolition techniques with explosives) when i discovered a short notice about a super explosive discovered in a Monaco's facility research.
The scientists were working on a particular kind of silicon foam cooled to the temperature of the liquid oxygen. The silicon was under vacuum conditions and they were studying its optical properties. A bit of air penetrated through a leak of the container provoked a very powerfull explosion.
They were surprised and studied this new type of explosive, after some investigations they were able to explain how it works:

on the silicon foam shape one hydrogen layer of the thickness of a single atom (the article doesn't explain how it forms) that insulates the foam from the oxygen. When the tie between silicon foam and hydrogen is broken a super fast chain reaction begins that determines the explosion.
The power of this explosive is 7 times the power of the TNT!!
The article doesn't explain more info, i tryed to make a search on internet but i didn't find any more info. However i think this new kind of explosive is too sensitive to be usefull in the standard applications, maybe it is good for space applications because in the space there is no air!
If anyone has better informations about this explosive he's welcome!

Marvin
March 20th, 2004, 03:43 PM
This has been covered before.

http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3207