View Full Version : PETN charges-amounts needed to do the job

jim2
March 21st, 2004, 10:26 PM
We hear a lot about PETN charges but not too much about the destructive power.Many of us dream of using a HE for a " friends" car( no one in it of course)or a shed or many other ideas that people think of.Using enough to get a bang but not enough to hurt anyone is very important
Anyone's experience about charge sizes and what they can do would be greatly appreciated.Better to be safe than sorry,now days ,using a charge too large would bring unwanted attention.Thanks

tom haggen
March 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM
well I've been a member here for a couple months now, and I have refrained from bitchin at the newer members. I have seen in other threads were someone that was still somewhat new like myself was made fun of for bitchin at the newbies. But with some of the pics I have posted I feel like I have at least contributed something. Which makes me feel privileged enough to say this... FUCKING SEARCH YOU DUMBASS.

MightyQuinnŽ
March 22nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Which makes me feel privileged enough to say this... FUCKING SEARCH YOU DUMBASS.

To this, I would like to add: Should you make it long enough to push the Search button.

Hey, it *is* the "Cooler", right? :p

Anthony
March 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
There's no point saying "search yo phucker!", he won't find an answer that way, because the question is hopelessly vauge. That's also the reason that no one here will be able to give him the answer he wants.

I.e.:

450gm for "a car"
375gm x 2 for "a shed"

What the fuck is a "a shed", overall dimensions, material types, construction method, material dimensions, surrounding environment, proximity to people/other buildings, condition. Same for a car.

You can find guides for charge sizes to breach different sizes of wooden beams, Steel shafts, RSJs etc. Those you can search for.

Boomer
March 22nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
The funny thing is, he wants to destroy a car but the charge must not be able to hurt someone, and must not be so loud as to draw atention!

WTF ???

You will need pounds (1+) for these jobs, and one gram can blow your hand to red mist.
I stood one step away from 1/2 pound (behind big tree, fingers in ears) and was unhurt, then I lost fingers to 1/2 gram. So much about a safe charge size ....

The only way to avoid attention is to go miles into the wood, or metres underground. And avoid targets that tell tales! Nobody would guess what made the hole in the ground, but a blasted letter box is not caused by a fox ... :p

zeocrash
March 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
On a similar note, what kind of friend are you if you're planning to blow this guy's car into oblivion, I dont know about you but I wouldn't be too happy if someone blew my car up.
As for bringing unwanted attention, well I think that blowing up someone elses property will bring you all the unwanted attention you can handle

Evil_Tree
March 25th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I stood one step away from 1/2 pound (behind big tree, fingers in ears) and was unhurt, then I lost fingers to 1/2 gram. So much about a safe charge size ....

A half gram or PENT removed your finger? Wow.

green beret
March 26th, 2004, 03:04 AM
jim2, if you were planning on destroying a large object such as a car, why not use the PETN to detonate some ANFO, ANSOY or something similar, its cheaper, and because of the ease of manufacturing ANFO etc. you will save yourself time and money, as opposed to making a kilo or whatever of PETN. Yes PETN a very high velocity explosive, but you could still get the job done with AN based explosives. PETN is a very valuable explosive, dont waste it on bulk charges, unless you have a huge supply.

By the way, don't do it, blowing up a car will surely attract attention, unless it is way out in the middle of nowhere.

PS, its good to be back :)