View Full Version : The Sandwich-Mine

Trinity
March 24th, 2004, 11:15 PM
The Sandwich-Mine is the simplest landmine that can be made, and large numbers of them can be produced in a short time.

However, this mine will only work in a hot and dry enviroment. Rain will make it ineffective.

The Sandwich-Mine is based on "Armstrongs Explosive". There has been some discussion on this forum, about what "Armstrongs Explosive" realy is. I shall NOT join this discussion; but only stress that in THIS article, it is defined as a mixture of 80% ( by volume ) of potassium chlorate ( KCLO-3 ) and 20% ( by volume ) of RED phospor ( P )

The KCLO-3 should be in the form of a fine powder.

The two chemicals should never be mixed dry, as the almost sure will detonate.

The two chemicals should be placed in two containers and completely soaked with water or ethyl alcohol.
It is then safe to mix them into a porridgelike mixture.

The only other items you need for the Sandwich-Mine are hard plastic plates - two for each mine.
The moist explosive is placed between two of the plastic plates. The upper plate should have been painted in a color that matches the ground where the mines are to be placed.

If placed on a hot day, the explosive will become dry in a few houers. It will of course become dry faster if alcohol is used instead of water.

The dry explosive is extremely sensitive, and when a person steps on the upper plastic plate, the pressure will detonate the explosive.

Armstrongs Explosive is on the paper a pyrotechnical mixture, but in every practical sense behaves like a primary explosive.

Do never try to manipulate the mines when the explosive is dry. This explosive is highly unstable and will sometimes detonate without any obvious reason.
But it is also this unstability, that makes it possible to make these very simple landmines.

P.S. I did NOT write this article to start a new discussion about "Armstrongs Explosive". I have defined what I understand by it in this article.
Other people are free to have another definition.