View Full Version : Another New Forum FTP!

megalomania
March 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM
The (un)Official Forum FTP is alive and well. Any person may upload to the FTP by logging in as anonymous. To get an account you must have at least 10 posts. If you have over 45 posts you will get a full leech account. Under 45 and you get a ratioed account in which you must contribute to be able to download. Post your intentions to receive an account in this thread please. Include the email address where you want the password sent, your username will be your Forum member name.

The address is:
ftp:// 204.210.178.18

If there are any problems with the new site, please post them here.

megalomania
April 16th, 2004, 08:18 PM
OK listen up :) I have been sick, so I didn't get to mailing anything yet. I have received the list of usernames and passwords and all the accounts are set up. Now the fine print...

Regular members with more than 45 posts will get their accounts mailed to them first. You get an unrestricted leech account.

Those of you with under 45 posts will get a ratioed account, meaning you must upload to download. No leeching for you! Otherwise you have access to everything.

Those of you with under 10 posts will not be getting accounts at this time, sorry. Soon I will set up an application form where those of you with files to contribute may receive a leech account regardless of post count.

If you get an account and you a) get your 10 posts, or b) you graduate to 45 posts post here so I can send along an upgrade request. Please mention you already have an account.

Rhadon
April 24th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Don't apply for an account if you have less than ten posts! See here (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showpost.php?p=60593) for details.

megalomania
April 30th, 2004, 12:06 AM
The first batch of usernames and passwords have been sent to those with over 45 posts (i.e. the unratioed accounts) enjoy. If you have more than 45 posts, but you applied within the last 2 weeks you may not have made this batch as of yet. Soon though. I'll probably get the rest out tomorrow.

The DL speed depends... it depends on whether or not a certain operator of the FTP is concurrently running Direct Connect and Edonkey at the same time to download a few files (and ends up uploading 100 times what he downloads). Other than that you should get 20k/sec on average if you can handle it.

Rhadon
April 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Oh, that looks like you're trying to use Internet Explorer to access the FTP. You should use an FTP program such as FlashFXP WS FTP. If you want free software, you can have a look at http://www.tucows.com. But if you still want to use internet explorer instead, it should work if you connect to ftp://anonymous:anonymous@<IP of the FTP>.

akinrog
April 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Dear Ossassin,
I posted this link (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558) in the previous page. It may serve you well. It's quite small file. I am using this FTP client and it's successful in resuming the files while both uploading and downloading.
Hope you enjoy it.

blindreeper
May 1st, 2004, 02:22 AM
This is going to sound extremely dumb but I will post it anyway. I have got my account details and all but I try to connect to ftp://204.210.178.18 but it only lets me do so as anonymous. So I tried with just 204.210.178.18 and it doesn't work either. I tried both of these methods with the ftp://68.86.53.149/ but no avail! Am I just too stupid to figure out how to do it or is there another FTP link?

blindreeper
May 1st, 2004, 05:39 AM
I am using SmartFTP as I find it the most user friendly, plus it is simple for a computer illiterature person such as myself :)

EDIT: Don't know why it is work with 204.210.178.18/ as the address. Woohoo time for some uploads and downloads! Thanks so much mega!

aikon
May 1st, 2004, 07:15 AM
...I've got a couple mine books, some improvised weapons books, and a few misc. 'how-to' vids to upload. Account requested, please...

You don't need an account to upload files to the ftp. Just go to ftp://204.210.178.18 and upload your files.
A user account with password is just "useful" for downloading.

megalomania
May 6th, 2004, 01:18 AM
I'm not sick... You are right about the boring part, I don't relish the though of sending out all these emails. Alas, I have sent out the emails today! The following list of people are on my to do list, but an FTp account has not been created for you as of yet. When they are ready I will let you know...
Ropik
0EZ0
YTS
Cyclonite
Aggy
wrench352
shady mutha
EP
Dr_Pind
controlphreak
Kalium
inFinie
al93535
jimmyboy
grammarless
fire vs. water
Bigfoot
SpiffyVision
tingtao
Magas

Soon, gentlemen, soon...

If you applied (and you have more than 10 posts) and your name is not on the list, and you still didn't get an email, there is trouble afoot. Post a massage here and I will see what is up.

Corona
May 6th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I might be wrong but this seems to create an unintended and unwanted incentive for people to split up their PDFs and what-not, into smaller files to satisfy the ratio.

I won't have a ratio account forever. Then I'll be up there running around in circles like a castrated chicken collecting all those "chapters" and trying to put them back together.

Hope this pathetic scenario of mine won't come to light. :-)

shrek
May 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Well that problem could already exist, because files uploaded is what the ratio is based on. The only way to resolve that issue would be to track it by bytes uploaded, but then people may just spend time uploading big files full of crap.

It seems that there are just inherent problems with ratio based accounts, but these issues, in my mind, outweigh the problem of leechers not uploading anything and downloading a lot. The only way I can see to keep people from uploading a lot of little files (a split pdf for example) is to just ban the uploader if the admin should discover an abuse such as you mentioned. Just have a rule that if a file is split each piece must be at least 10 Mb or something like that.

nbk2000
May 6th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Ratios are based on the size of the files, not the number of them, so 100x1MB is the same as 1x100MB.

nesler
May 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Ropik, the best way is ask&wait :D

You must have an account.

Wrong. You can upload without having an account. You just can't download. Do you honestly think that they would impede on anyone's ability to contribute?

Scientist
May 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Please add me too. tjiit@yahoo.com

If anyone is interested in empty-hand close quarter combat I can upload some.

Rhadon
May 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Again, you don't need an account in order to upload to the FTP. If you don't have one yet, you can use username anonymous, password anonymous.

Scientist, hand-to-hand combat is related to our topics, so you don't need to ask before uploading it. But don't forget to check if it has already been uploaded by someone else in the TOC thread (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3993).

Microtek
May 29th, 2004, 04:38 AM
What has happened to the Federoff .iso files ? I was downloading the first cd when it suddenly vanished ( yesterday ), and it hasn't reappeared yet.

megalomania
June 1st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Everyone has waited so patiently for their accounts. Soon, very soon, I will mail out the rest. I have taken the liberty of deleting all the old messages requesting access... I have taken down all the names and I will pass them along to central command for processing.

The Federoff isos are being processed for a torrent file, they will not be available on the FTP to encourage everyone to share it. The torrent will be available to one and all, and not just at The Forum.

pdb
June 1st, 2004, 11:54 AM
I am not very familiar with the torrent world. However, it is said to take advantage of the bandwidth generated when a community of peers are downloading the same single file at the same time. Assuming that the Federoff iso won't captive that many people, I am just wondering if torrent is the most appropriate tool to help sharing Federoff ?!

langg
June 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM
hi every body i am back after a long break and found many changes in the forum. the new thing for me is this ftp download but i am not able to access it. any explaination if some one can provide will be expressed with great thanks

Hystrix
June 1st, 2004, 09:49 PM
Sorry for bothering but I have two questions:
1) The most part of the info I have (books, articles) is in russian. Is it allowed on FTP?
2) I have uploaded the articles about 2,2,4,4-tetranitroadamantane, diamino-bifurazan and cyclobutane-tetranitramine. Some additional articles will be uploaded soon. When I'll be able to download something? :confused:
PS If my e-mail doesn't work please mail to dikobrazz@mail.ru

Marvin
August 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
After trying a proxy and seeing that it works, it looks like the range my IP is in is blocked, could this be checked please. I cant upload through the proxy Ive tried.

megalomania
August 19th, 2004, 01:11 AM
That is strange, I am told there is no IP blocking whatsoever on the FTP, except for hammerers and that only lasts a few hours.

Marvin
August 19th, 2004, 02:51 AM
After going to the trouble of doing traceroutes, its now working.

I can only assume there was a downed router somewhere.

I'm not convinced the server replies to pings, which hampered my confirmation it was still down for me.

Edit, christ, I lost more posts than I thought :(
I feel like Ive gone back in time and forgot the lottery numbers list.

PAC
August 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM
After I had any trouble with my pc, I´ve lost my passsword for the ftp. Can you please send it again to my e-mail: P_A_C@gmx.de

jelly
August 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Dear forumites with ratio'ed accounts... if you are going to increase your download account by uploading duplicates of books, please, remove the names of the former uploaders from the filenames before, ok? :D

But ok... a lame duplicate of an excellent book is better than an excellent rip of a lame website :p

megalomania
August 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
New rules, new terms, no info... I am starting a new thread. Please see http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?p=63352 for all your FTP questions, requests, and such.

PAC, you have email.