View Full Version : Bullet Detonators

endotherm
June 1st, 2002, 06:34 PM
An idea occurred to me while reading of Tannerite exploding targets, and exploding targets in general. If it is true that some relatively sensitive explosives can be detonated with small arms fire, what is to stop the use of their ammunition as detonators. My idea would be to drill out where the primer used to be, and create a small hole for a fuse. When the fuse reached inside the shell the slug would be shot out. What if one of these was directly place into a charge as a detonator. The bullet goes off, and the hot lead plug is propelled into the explosive at high velocities. I was thinking a .45 or some kind of high powered rifle ammunition. Anyone with easy access to some ANNM and ammunition want to try this out and post the results?
P.S. I know this will not work for explosive like dynamite and ANFO

kingspaz
June 1st, 2002, 06:40 PM
the bullet will simply explode like a small pipe bomb. without the barrel of a gun to give the cartridge strength it will shatter. might still work though, just for different reasons.

DBSP
June 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
Kingspaz is right about the cartidge shattering. A nother thing is that the bullet won't become even worm in the way you describe since there is no barrel that create any friction and thus the bullet won't go worm. You might get the bullet out of the cartidge by putting it into a pipe. And drilling the primer out of the cartidge isn't a good idea since the friction will case the lead styphnate to explode igniting the powder.

EDIT: fuck I spelled Kingspaz Kingspax

<small>[ June 01, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: DBSP ]</small>

kingspaz
June 1st, 2002, 07:36 PM
i see this topic going now where. by the time you've done all that you could have filled it with DDNP or somthing. the reason some more sensitive HE's are set off by small arms fire is because the bullet acts like the hammer test by smacking into the explosive. because the bullet moves at such a high speed it will not need anything particularly hard behind it to crush the explosive against. as the bullet hits the point of explosive infront of the bullet will be compressed and explode. the amount of smokeless powder in a round will not create a very powerful blast if at all.

end of topic.