View Full Version : 660 kg of dynamite and 5000 detonators under your bed?

Bert
April 8th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Someone in Norway has been a bit light fingered...
660 kg of dynamite and 5000 detonators stolen sometime in the last week (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3602209.stm)

I'd like to think it's under one of your beds, not in Al Queda's storage locker.

Damn, 5000 detonators. SCORE!

tom haggen
April 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Holy god, obivously this job was either done by some professionals or someone with inside conections. Just trying to think about how difficult it would be to steal 1400 pounds of anything, leads me to believe that these individuals were highly motivated. I'm afraid that these explosives are going to be used harmfully unless found by the authorities first :(
Im assuming that some type of ammonium dynamite was stolen?

Dave Angel
April 8th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Wow, unstaffed and with no alarm system, combined with being in a fairly isolated place. That was just asking to be broken into, even with such great security systems as a fence and heavy doors... hmmm.

Shame that it looks like it may be linked to terrorists, I guess they don't enjoy the making stage as much as we do.

blindreeper
April 8th, 2004, 02:36 AM
"Explosives are something that terrorists will always be looking for," he said.
No shit :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder how these reporters got their jobs...

tom haggen
April 12th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Well I've kept my mouth shut on this topic for a few days now to see if there would be any developments or anything. I have not seen it mentioned once on the news. I've even searched google and so far the only story I have found was the one covered by the BBC. Mabey I'm over reacting but to me this theft seems like a really big deal. It seems like shit like this happens, then a few weeks later when people die in a bombing incedent everyone wonders what happened. It just seems unexceptable that more isn't being done about this theft, or mabey it is and its just not being talked about?

Jacks Complete
April 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Far more likely is that things like this happen every other day, and are totally not news, unless there is a terrorist angle. Just like the Oz AN theft - big deal! Yes, getting 5000 detonators is kinda neat, but so what? You can't sell the dynamite to anyone, and you will have a hell of a job doing anything with that sheer amount of stuff without shopping yourself. Let's face it, anyone who has a decent van or truck could shift that much gear... but where would you store it?
You can't set it off bit by bit, as the cops will be swarming all over you, and if you do one big blast, unless you are attacking something, well, what was the point?

Shit like this gets pulled every other day.

tom haggen
April 15th, 2004, 08:52 PM
unless you are attacking something, well, what was the point?
Thats exactly my point. Who ever stole those explosives must be plannig to attack someone. Anyone who steals 660kg of anything knows damm well what they were doing. This wasn't just some teenage kids who got the score of a life time. Also in my opion, stealing high explosives along with 5000 detonators sounds like someone has a lot more motive to destroy something. With that case in Oz for all they know It could have been some farmer that was running a little short on cash. :p By the way, I never did read what type of high explosives this "dynamite" was made up of. I would imagine Nitrogylcerin and NH4NO3.

shadow2501
May 13th, 2004, 08:14 PM
there was another case of this type, 700kg of AN were stolen in a french farm today.I agree with Jack, things like this happens everyday everywhere in the world.Just have to hope that it's the fault of teenagers that want to believe that they're dangerous guys or ppl that just want to do their own private giant firework for their own entertainment.If not,well....we'll hear a great loud BOOM in some important place,hope it will not happen, not fun at all :(