View Full Version : Are rockets legal in Australia?

Stone
April 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Hey,

I'm just wondering if home-made rockets are legal in Oz? My local hobby shop seems to sell pre-assembled rockets, but are we allowed to produce our own rockets and fuel and fire them anywhere? Or do we need to do it in specific locations?

Flake2m
April 11th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I did model rocketry for a number of years. To my knowledge it was legal provided you didn't stick a warhead in them.

I dont think homemade rockets are legal, however I dont think they'd care too much provided any testing was well away from a the human population. If you or a friend have a farly large property in the country then go for it.

phoenix945
April 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I called the cops once to ask them if it was legal, they told me that it wasn't to make your own which produced fire. I am still going to make some but only small in case they explode, the bigger the rocket the bigger the fuck up.
I have heard that using chlorates in a rocket fuel just makes a bomb with wings, is this correct?

xyz
April 24th, 2004, 11:16 PM
No, it's not entirely correct. Some of our members have had a lot of success with NaClO3/Sugar rockets. However, chlorates are less trustworthy than other oxidisers (nitrates, perchlorates) and I wouldn't want to use them in large motors or motors with metal casings.

Basically, chlorates are fine for small paper/cardboard cased rockets, but find another oxidiser for big rockets or metal cased ones.

Barcy
April 26th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Stone, in answer to your question. Rockets and their use is currently legal, so long as the rocket does not exceed 1000ft, than you need special permission by the department of aviation to us them. Preassembled rocket engines are still available, but usually not very powerful. It is unlawful to make such products and instead of asking the police (who say everything is unlawful and take note of who you are), just refer to the government web sites.

In Queensland explosives come under the Department of Natural Resources as they are the licensing body. I can tell you that rockets are frowned upon as they have erratic flight paths, this is why pyros have to use morters instead of rockets.