View Full Version : AP warning story

Cyclonite
April 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
I thought I should bring an incident I had to everyone's attention. I made some AP and proceeded to mix it with a typical 2 part fast dry epoxy. When I did this is heated somewhat...I stepped away and waited a couple hours. Everything was fine. I left it to dry for the rest of the day and then I had to go back to Germany and I left it on a table...very irresponsible. I get a call a couple weeks later and it seemed it somehow got relocated to the ground and my dog stepped on it and it detonated from the pressure of the weight. It was a small amount of AP and his paw needed immediate medical attention...I feel terrible. Anyways my main point was just to show how sensitive this stuff can get. Once again beware

Bert
April 12th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I feel terrible. Anyways my main point was just to show how sensitive this stuff can get. Once again beware

Had a number of dogs, I know how you feel.

Some of the most important habits to develop are cleanliness and orderliness. If it's not in use, it's properly stored- If you have a problem, only the material currently being worked on will be involved. "Just leaving stuff out" is begging for trouble.

What in hell did they tell the vet?!

TheHitMan
April 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I find that very comical, but that may just be my warped sense of humor. It's only a PET! [Read: replaceable!]

Rhadon
April 13th, 2004, 10:57 AM
We don't want to start discussing the value of animals and animals' lifes here. You can do that in the Water Cooler if you wish, but not in this thread.

MightyQuinnŽ
April 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I was thinking more on the lines of "What if your mother/sister/brother et al got ahold of this?" Could you imagine a child thinking this was candy or some such?

Please....for the sake of all hobbyists around the world, make sure you KNOW where your shit is at all times.

This is the kind of story the media would feed on. Media=Weapons of Crass Deduction.

As for the dog (I am a dog owner) Please see the Water Cooler.

NightStalker
April 13th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Epoxy bound AP was stepped on by a dog and exploded?

LANDMINE! :)

Try experimenting along those lines.

Cyclonite
April 14th, 2004, 04:40 AM
I believe the AP had a reaction with the epoxy from the heat release and it made a little crackle noise. Also sitting in California sun for 2 weeks had more than a little to do with it. It doesn't mix very well but it does bind it rock hard. If you were to do this id mix the AP with 1 part of the epoxy then mix with the 2nd part. I was very surprised it went off, im very familiar with how my AP tends to act and this was strange. I like dogs more than quite a few humans......

nuclearattack
April 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Yes Cyclonite is very strange!
My AP is not that sensitive, i need a good hammer blow to set it off and it is not very sensitive to friction.
However we all know that peroxides are very unpredictable, this section (other explosives i mean!) is full of warnings about AP, there is a good reason because of that warnings and your experience is a demonstration.
I'm worried when i read about some forum members that make large charges with AP, 200 gr of a primary HE is not the best way to explore the word of the HE! Primaries HE need to much precautions to make large charges with them...i use primaries only for my detonators.

Bert
April 14th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I believe the AP had a reaction with the epoxy from the heat release and it made a little crackle noise.

Organic peroxides are used as catalytic curing agents and accelerators for some resin systems. I'd be VERY careful about trying such an experiment, as heat released in any substantial quantity might build to a dangerous level.

Desmikes
April 15th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Fast-curing epoxy means that bonds are formed rapidly, which can noticeably raise the temperature. There are some epoxies that will start to smoke if you mix more than a liter. For AP it is best to use something with longer curing time. I use 24hr one for this purpose. The only difference from powdered AP is that binded AP explodes in smallest quantities. A small half-pea sized chunk of epoxied AP that would normally puff, explodes due to confinement.
Cyclonite, good thing your dog was smart enough not to chew on that white oddly-shaped bone...