View Full Version : Cost of Building Herf/Emp Weapon.

JamesyBHOY
April 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Just wondering what some of your opinions are on this.
Learn to use the capitalized letter
I have read people saying that they can do it for a couple of Hundred Dollars,while others say it would take thousands to build a fully working device.I would rather attempt to build a Herf rather than Emp,Since i would need it to be as quiet as possible and it would need to work from a range of at least from 15/20 Meters,to the further the better.Hypothetically it would be needed to beat a standard security system(CCTV,Alarm Etc).
I
I just thought it would be better to ask people more in the know than me on the constructions costs of one of these devices,As last year,I thought my Girlfriend was Pumping someone else,So being the Paranoid Bastar# that i am i ordered plans from P&K for the Laser Listener which they said would only cost $200 to build,Being from the UK,It cost a lot more since it was hard to find around 1/3 of the parts here & i had to get a couple of electronics stores to order them in for me.All in all it cost about $400 & they claim that it has a range of 100's of metres,Bollocks,The range is shit & when the blinds/curtains are closed it's almost impossible to make anything out.
when referring to yourself.
So,Basically i I have a price limit of $1000 maybe pushing $1500 & i need to make sure i have the correct funds to complete the unit.As i can't afford to have it half done then run out of cash.
NBK
Any opinions on realistic prices are appreciated.

Tuatara
April 14th, 2004, 03:55 AM
The answer to this all depends on just how skilled you are at aquiring parts.
The easy way - getting out the catalogues and the credit card - will cost you big dollars, maybe $1k.

The smart way involves lots of hunting for junk / used / surplus / scrap and being inventive with what you find / beg / steal. Done right, you might get the cost down to $10.
So hone up you junk hunting skills ...

Spoz
May 14th, 2004, 05:08 AM
This is all crap, you can build one for free.

Go to a scrapyard or wait till your next dump-day, and find a microwave oven.
Go to a scrapyard or wait till your next dump-day, and find some sheet metal.

Bend your horn with the sheet metal, assemble the microwave parts into one compact unit and build a power supply, you can make one with D size batteries if you dont mind replacing them often.

If you do it right (by the sounds of things, this isnt very likely) but if you do, it should be able to crash computers from 30m away, depending on your horn design, output power of the magnetron, power supply etc. It should be able to really annoy an alarm system from 15-20m away, but anything with a metal case tends to be quite difficult to destroy. Forget an EMP, at that distance it really will set you back thousands, and the thing will be huge.
also see www.voltsamps.com they got some good info there.

Corona
May 20th, 2004, 08:09 AM
You are aware of course, that microwaves (even from faulty microwave ovens) have been known to cause cataracts? (over a period of time)

One mistake in your waveguide.. one teeny crack... and you and any of your nearby equipment could run into a bit of grief.

The cost of the whole setup would be well under a thousand Rupees-PK (sorry I don't know the conversion rate... its on the web though). If you do build it, try it out on a cheapo security camera... I personally think the results won't be worth the effort.

You can see a demo of a homemade microwave setup on Powerlabs, I think.

And about your GF and her unauthorized rumpy-pumpy... my sympathies. If you're still hell bent on spying on her, do it the old fashioned way and plant a bug in her surroundings. I sent a file to the FTP called "kilometer range FM transmitter"....

JamesyBHOY
May 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Well,It's easy to get old Microwave ovens if you look through those advertisement papers,You see people offering them free if they are collected or they are dirt cheap if they were asking for money.The reason that i have not already went down that road before was that i wasn't sure if standard home microwave parts would be able to do the job.

The Cctv camera is an old IR one in a Metal Housing & I am around 95% sure that it isn't monitored live or Uploaded to FTP etc,It would be best to Temp Block/Jam it for stealth purposes,However that isn't the main priority, that belongs to the Alarm System which by all accounts,seems to be a pretty Basic Model with Main Box Outside being overlooked by the Cctv,then it has a keypad inside which i don't and can't be able to get the disarm code for.Also it has Autodialer,Couple of IR Sensors placed in the hallways(1 Entrance & 1 Upper Floor,You need to go up the small set of stairs to get to the upper floor and it's around the corner which is unavoidable to get past any other way.

It would need to work from at least 20m but obviously the further the better & the more powerful it is wouldn't do any harm either.

So i don't forsee being able to build a unit,that will be effective on the whole building,So the only other alternative that i can see is to Use it only on the Main Alarm Housing on the Outside of the Building and cut the phone cable,So then it won't matter because the autodialer can't connect to the phone line & if you trigger any of the IR sensors then it won't make any difference either since the main unit outside is being taken care of by the Herf & won't be able to sound the 120/140db siren to attract any unwanted attention.

nbk2000
May 20th, 2004, 08:00 PM
How is it, JamesyBHOY, that you've managed to capitalize just about every letter in every sentence but "I", when referring to yourself?

JamesyBHOY
May 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM
To be totally honest,i(I) have never given it any real thought,Perhaps just a Bad Habbit or maybe i don't see me as being important enough to "capitalise" when referring to myself.Forgive me if i'm wrong,but what's the difference it's only grammar.So as long as people understant it then i don't see the problem,but hey you've been here a lot longer than me,I guess you know better,So I will try to stop doing it from now on.Since it must be bugging you that you feel the need to comment twice on it.

nbk2000
May 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Forgive me if i'm wrong,but what's the difference it's only grammar.

If you can't be arsed to bother with a little detail like capitalization of a single letter, then why would anyone think you could get a minor detail like temperature, or a reagent, right?

In this field, a single error in a procedure can be fatal, and we have no room for sloppy grammer and the MORONS who think that, since "it's only grammar", that they don't have to bother with it.

HED.

How many fatalities have we had by members who made mistakes? Five, and that's only the members themselves, not including the incidential "collateral damage" of killed bystanders.

And those are just the ones that we know about. No telling how many members have simply "disappeared" because noboby here knew that they had died.

And we have members here who are typing their replies with less than the 10 fingers they were born with because of careless mistakes.

Sloppy grammer is a symptom of sloppy thinking and sloppy thinking is death when working with explosives.

I realize that a lot of our members are young, and the young aren't even aware of their own mortality, so us old foggies have to keep beating it into their heads as painfully as possible in the hopes that the lesson sticks.

mongo blongo
May 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM
I agree it's sloppy thinking and carelessness. I'm dyslexic and I have worse spelling, grammar and maths than anyone I know. I have overcome this problem with a thing called EFFORT. It probably takes me maybe 10 times as long to make a post than everyone else here but do you see me raping the English launage? I admit I can't write anything to the quality of NBK or many other members here but I do my best!
15 mins to write that!
YOU have no excuse! :mad:

Jacks Complete
June 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
I absolutely agree. Look at "Captain Hook" who just got sent down for preaching terror here - his two hooks have been taken off him as "offensive weapons". He lost his hands playing with explosives in Afghanistan (or somewhere like that) and now has no hands. I wonder how he even opens doors, let alone goes to the loo. Must be fun in a prison setting. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, mind...

As for getting past the camera, why not just blind it? Either set up a nice little jig for a laser, and shine that into the lense using a small mirror, or use a million plus candlepower spotlight. Hell, you could even wear a mask! If it isn't a live feed, why the concern? Do the owners know you well enough to ID you from your shape and gait?

Did you read the thread about getting past IR sensors? If I could find the damned smoke, I would try my idea regarding the canned smoke (since I found my IR sensor lamp), but there is some good stuff in there.

Nevermore
September 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Microwave oven devices are not effective as an HERF weapon, first of all, you need a big strong pulse instead of a continuous field..
This can be obtained by discharging powerful capacitors on the Magnetron, but, well, capacitor are not cheap, and from an 800W magnetron, u could hope to get not more than 2KW peak pulse, enough sure only for disabling devices up to few meters...
If you can get ur dirty hands on a Radar Magnetron, it would be far easy, they can stand peak pulse up to 100MW, so they will be able to disable electronic devices 50-100 meter far if well focalized.
You would prefer an higher freq so that is possible to use a smaller waveguide getting a good gain anyway, getting 20-30db gain is a nice thing since makes your emp pulse something like a tidal wave.
Beside that, when working impulsively, you don't need to worry about microwaves, pulses are ineffective against humans and other living stuff, neither they will give your nasty problems like cataracts and so on..
The main problem is that you will have big capacitors charged with lethal amount of energy...
i was thinking about a portable herf device capable of disabling at 10-15 meters, small enough to be hidden in the back of the car, in order to fry all the speed traps the stupid pigs keep putting to get money..

Pb1
September 17th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Would that fry your car's electronics, along with other nearby cars, or would the metal bodies act as farraday cages? The idea certianly is interesting, though...

Roen Hayden
January 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.eio.com/public/inductor/0024.html

Check this out not sure if it has been posted before but the information there seems like it would work.

iHME
February 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
As far as I know the only well working civilian emp is made by the Experimental Interaction Unit (EIU). They used it to create a 30m radius Technology Free Zone (TFZ). Unlike some advertised plans and designs this one has been made reality.
They call it "I-Bomb".

Link to their page about I-Bomb (http://www.eiu.org/experiments/i-bomb/)

jimmyboy1
February 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hahaha radar magnetron -- yeah and if you focus it wrong you blind yourself permanently and blow out all the electronics in your house - it would be much safer to plant a gunn diode circuit near the electronic device in question if you can sneak it in so you don't need all that range.. plus you won't go blind and sterile at lower power levels -- I have yet to try it out but it is a very sound design and won't cost a couple grand to build - if you focus it right and get the parts used you might be able to do it with less than a franklin.

Silentnite
February 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Enlighten me, I googled Gunn Diode and I can't quite understand its application. Would it be the RF interference at short range you'd be looking for?

Positron
February 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Quotes from Nevermore:

Beside that, when working impulsively, you don't need to worry about microwaves, pulses are ineffective against humans and other living stuff, neither they will give your nasty problems like cataracts and so on..

The main problem is that you will have big capacitors charged with lethal amount of energy...

Uh-huh...and what do you think that that energy is converted into in the magnetron?

Having said that, would you still trust your eyes, thyroid gland, brain, and reproductive organs to your first statement above?

---------

Jimmyboy1, I seriously doubt that a Gunn diode, of any kind, will generate enough RF power to damage electronics.

I have yet to try it out but it is a very sound design

Oh? How do you know that it is a sound design? Because you think it is? Have you seen it done before? Do you have any evidence at all that it will work?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: