View Full Version : Increasing fuel power.

Wahur
April 15th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Ok. If I mix NaNO3 with fuel will it make it burn the fuel better so I could use it as a "turbo" mixture for my car? I'm thinking of an 1500cm3, carburator engine with a quite low compression. Or could I use NH4NO3 with methanole? I'm guessing that the NH4NO3 with fuel will blow the hood off but methanole could handle bigger compression without pre-detonating.

Bert
April 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Ok. If I mix NaNO3 with fuel will it make it burn the fuel better so I could use it as a "turbo" mixture for my car?
=========================<snip>========================
Or could I use NH4NO3 with methanole?

I don't think you'd get very much of either dissolved in gasoline or methanol. You're not much of a motorhead or you'd have heard of nitromethane (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question642.htm) which does, or can even be used by itself as a fuel...

A little searching would probably have found you this info. If you haven't read the Rules (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_faq_therules), best do so.

vulture
April 15th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Toluene or xylene are nice additives too, as their octane rating varies between 110 and 140 depending on the isomer.

kingspaz
April 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM
bloody hell. you can't increase the power of a fuel. the same bonds get made overall (which gives the energy)

nitromethane is the highest energy fuel. raising octane will only improve power to a certain extent. in a low compression engine the difference will not be that great. if you raises the compression of the engine with performance head gaskets and better piston rings then it would benefit more from octane boosters. this alone will not have that much effect as you must also increase the amount of fuel burnt and hence the air it needs to burn. you could get N2O injection. it decomposes in the cylinders to release oxygen which goes on to react with the fuel. this would be useful in a low compression engine as it would be able to take an N2O boost alot more frequently. ultimately though for good power gains the cylinder head must be ported and flowed followed by necessary upgrades in exhaust and airfilter design to allow more fuel to be burnt. twin carbs would also benefit your engine as more air can be taken in and mixed with much more fuel to be burnt.

as far as i can see fuel change is not going to make a great deal of difference without heavy engine modification. also, this discussion has no place in this forum.

end of topic