View Full Version : Any new guns?

A-BOMB
April 19th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Well I just got myself a new(to me atleast) pistol from one of the guys at my local shooting club. It cost my just two boxes of 10gauge shells. Its a Smith&Wesson Sigma series in .380auto with two 7 round clips the guy said it cost him about 100$ when he got it in 89, well I like it though I wish it had better sights. So does anybody eles have any new guns to brag/tell about?

chokingvictim78
April 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I'm saving up this summer for a 9mm Beretta Storm. I was at a gun shop with my dad, picking up a going-away present for a good friend in his office, and fell in love with it. It's primarily for home defence, but I want something that won't go very far that I can fuck around with at my grandparent's farm, too. The .22 is nice, but sometimes I need more power if I'm down near a large creek, where I have run into a few more 'gators that I wish I have, considering my armed status at the time (it's in Mississippi, cottonmouths and 'gators everywhere you turn in the summer). Any suggestions for accessories? I'm planning on getting a bottom accessory rail for a tactical light, and a side rail for a BSA red-dot sight, but I'm not sure.

tiac03
April 19th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I don't know dude, personally if i was going to get myself a rifle type weapon I'd get myself one of the russian type rifles. SKS is great 7.62X39 and doesn't kick at all. Ammo is some of the cheapest you can buy. It isn't very long, and doesn't jam (yet...). Since they are military rifles they come with bayonet lugs (that the word for it?) even if you don't use the bayonet it is always usefull as a stand when you don't have something to lean the gun on... also it can be quite easily modified (stock kits, scope kit, bipod.)

[IMG]http://www.rock-it-land.com/southwestvoodoo/myguns/P1010003.jpg

personally I would have loved to have owned one of the calicos before they were banned. (100 round capacity for .22, 50 round for 9mm) I liked the sporter version with the wooden stock.

Since i have never seen the rifle you are talking about in real life I can't give you a real opinion about it. (although believe .45 or .357 is a much better choice than 9mm. but thats just my cup'o'tea)

Nhala1
April 20th, 2004, 06:14 AM
tiac, as you ask, they are bayonet standards.

The Ruski rifles are some of the best around. Watch out for the Chinese clones though. Still a good weapon, but prone to extended use probs like ejector claw breaks. Can be a lot cheaper than the real deal, and a Russian one on the market may very well be a clone anyway. I dont think a sporting shooter should have too many probs. Spares should be easy enough to get, unless you are in Aussie, which you are not. Time has proven these weapons to be well ahead of their time. Got a lot of years left in em yet.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum. No comma.

tiac03
April 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
You want to also go with the machined rifles and not the stamped ones. (many AK's have stamped recievers etc.).
If you live in australia you can't get one anyways (legally) Isn't the only firearm allowed there a .303?

Chinese "clones" arn't that bad anyways (SKS, don't know about AK's), they are pretty hardy weapons. Norinco makes them I believe. and at 120-250 dollars they are a good deal.

Wicked1
April 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
.................................................. ..........

zaibatsu
April 23rd, 2004, 12:01 AM
Blah Blah, who cares? You're banned.

chokingvictim78
April 23rd, 2004, 01:19 AM
I don't know dude, personally if i was going to get myself a rifle type weapon I'd get myself one of the russian type rifles. SKS is great 7.62X39 and doesn't kick at all. Ammo is some of the cheapest you can buy. It isn't very long, and doesn't jam (yet...). Since they are military rifles they come with bayonet lugs (that the word for it?) even if you don't use the bayonet it is always usefull as a stand when you don't have something to lean the gun on... also it can be quite easily modified (stock kits, scope kit, bipod.)

I chose 9mm mainly because it's a round that doesn't go very far (relatively speaking). 7.62x39 can travel much further than what I want. I do plan on a SKS being my next big purchase after the 9mm Storm, though. I also chose the Storm becuase of it's size (29.7"), and its weight (about 6 lbs.). It's short and light enough to carry with me when I'm taking a walk, so I can take it along without much trouble even if I don't end up using it.The rounds are more expensive than 7.62x39, but I won't be using it enough to warrant a need for cheap bulk ammo. Aesthetics are the least important thing in any weapon, but it still looks fucking cool :p

paintbatt
August 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
My new gun is a BAR .300WinMag with a boss muzzle brake. It has a Bushnell 3-9 firefly scope on it. It is a semi auto with a 4 shot magazine. Currently I can shoot nickle sized groups from 200 yards.

atr
August 20th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Remington 870 police model . Scattergun Technology 14 inch barrel , tritium ghost ring sights , one shot mag extention , high viz follower , Surefire forend with light , Speedfeed pistolgrip stock , Assault systems 3 way sling and sidesaddle . The barrel came choked modified so i took it to my gunsmith and had the barrel threaded for flush fit chokes and the fullchoke is in it . 5 shot 5 inch groups at 100 yards with Brenneke 3 inch mag foster slugs and 80% hits on torso targets at 50 yards useing 3 inch mag 000 buck . I may put a picatinny rail on top and mount an m2 Aimpoint with quick detach mount . I gave it a name . It's called Roadblocker .

paintbatt
August 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM
That sounds like a really cool gun, It would be even better if you put this system on it is avalable for the 870 http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/SideWinder.htm
I think it was NBK who found this and posted about it first

shadow2501
August 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
err, hope i'm not making a mistake by posting this here but i didn't wanted to start a new thread for such a thing.It's not really a "new" gun but few month ago ppl argued about backyard .22 gatling saying it would be far too hard to realize especially .22 chain of bullets.here's a commercial (but expensive) version of the 19th century gatling,ok it's an old model but....with a 720shots magazine and some modifications this should be sweet
http://www.machineguns.co.nz/index.shtml

atr
August 20th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Paintbatt , thanks for the link and i've looked at the Sidewinders but they'd defeat my application . They'll hold 10 rounds and if i went to a 20 inch barrel with a mag extention , so would mine without a big drum hanging underneath . The way my shotgun is , it fits just right in my backpack and i don't have to roll the window down all the way to get it out and stroke the pump . I am at a disadvantage shooting I.P.S.C. with a 6 round capacity but i had other things in mind when i decided upon the 14 inch barrel . I do wonder how well the Sidewinder is constructed . If a person had to dive for cover and smacked it into the ground , would it survive or would the shotgun be out of operation . I tend to think that it would either bend or break and that would be a very bad thing if it happened at the wrong time . I once saw a 1927 Thompson with a 50 round drum magazine go into the ground and after that it wouldn't feed properly . I love the Thompsons but since then i don't have much use for drums .

tdog49
August 21st, 2004, 12:02 AM
Ruger p89 and mkII 22/45 for squirrel hunting. Love squirrel hunting! Running through the woods chasing squirrels and dumping clips like a bad 80's action show.....ahhhh the good life.

bipolar
August 21st, 2004, 04:07 AM
I got a new DSA FAL made completely in US from original austrian Steyr blueprints. their website is at DSArms.com (http://www.dsarms.com). It shoots a .308 / 7.62x51 so it has nice accuracy. I have done some training with it and it is real heavy, but you can get used to it, and its a one shot one kill gun instead of the army's spray'n pray guns.
Its suppost to be effective at 800 meters, but i hear some good shooters can get 1 kilometer.

I really need a Trijicon ACOG to put it to best use. The trijicon ACOG(advanced combat optical gunsight) is a red dot sight powered by the sun with fiberoptics during the day and tritium at night and you can aim with both eyes open for close up shots or look through with one eye for magnification with a bullet drop compensating reticule for up to 800m for long range shots. Here is a pic of it, I just spray painted it camo with bowflage(its removable). I really like it a lot, I just put a 3 point sling on it to support some of the weight of it on my shoulders.

http://www.flube.com/users/jojo7/fal.jpg

'bipolar

Crane
August 24th, 2004, 01:40 AM
I just picked up a new Browning Buck Mark .22 Target rifle a few weeks ago. I put a Tasco World Class 3x9 scope on it and have gotta say it's probably the nicest .22 rifle I've shot yet. It's no problem to drive tacks at 25 yards, and can hit bulls pretty consistently with a fast pull.

I also picked up a .45 Norinco 1911 handgun... not quite a masterpiece in gun manufacturing, but I'm hoping to get some time to customize it, and maybe do a little milling here and there. Also ordered in an Uncle Mike's Kydex Tactical Holster for it... not here yet, but I'm getting excited! Anyone else have one of those ?

raptor1956
August 24th, 2004, 06:31 PM
quote:If you live in australia you can't get one anyways (legally) Isn't the only firearm allowed there a .303?

Not any more. no military calibre centrefires without a special licence (you need to show cause), no semi autos at all in any calibre, no handguns at all unless you're a member of a pistol club, then weapon must be kept there, and no hanguns in larger calibre than .38 unless you're an olympic shooter. Free society? Think not!

Bigfoot
August 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM
...but i had other things in mind when i decided upon the 14 inch barrel .. .

Maybe you were thinking about how to keep the paperwork with the weapon at all times?

Or are you a special person? Maybe LEO, or not living in USA?

OTC (USA) civilian shotgun minimum bbl length is 18", per NFA 1934. Any shorter, pay tax and keep paperwork handy, just in case.

xyz
August 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM
IIRC the Canadians are allowed shotgun barrels under 18" so long as the overall length of the gun is still 26" or over. I suspect atr is Canadian...

zaibatsu
August 26th, 2004, 03:58 PM
To confuse matters, I believe that it is ok for canadians to have shotguns with barrels less than 18" if it was originally manufactured in that configuration, or at least so I heard.