View Full Version : Binary Cracker.

Gossettc68
April 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM
I've recently developed a market for " Binary crackers " I've dont all the reasearch I need, All I need is some basic input from some people more knowledgable than I am.

I am currently selling a product called " Binary Survival Crackers " [ I am not going to disclose my website/store because I absolutly do not want this to come off as a advertisement ] I've gone over practically everything in the book, including ESD free mixing containers and such. If anyone would be as so kind to spot an error in my ' Directions for making " that would be most appriciated.

1. Place fuse in tube ½ inch. Be sure to cut fuse to a safe length. Drill hole in tube just large enough for the fuse to fit snug. Insert fuse FIRST. Do not attempt to drill into tube after powder is added. It is advisable to glue fuse into place to avoid leakage.

2. Place one ? end plug ? in the end of the tube and glue tight with household quick-dry glue of your choice.

3. add 25 Milligrams of white KCLO4 explosive grade ?A? powder into tube.

4. Add 25 milligrams of star molecule. Military grade, Gray powder to the survival cracker tube. (GRZ B POWDER ) DO NOT PRE-MIX POWDER AND FUNNEL INTO TUBE. EXPOSED POWDER COULD BE SUBJECTED TO ELECROSTATIC DISCHARGE IGNITION. ( ESD )

5. Place top plug into cracker tube using a dowel to help seal it accurately and easily

6. Turn cracker slowly in order to mix contents. Do not shake violently. Turn slowly for 30 seconds.

7. Never hold in hand when lighting. Place on hard flat surfaces with no rock/gravel. Light fuse, get away. Use for ONLY survival purposes only. Any other use could lead to criminal charges and civil penalties.

NOTE: The 4th direction line says " Gray powder " which is Star Molecule Aluminum. The reason why I picked these chemicals is because they are un-regulated and absolutly safe till mixture.

Haggis
April 23rd, 2004, 06:59 PM
A small search shows you have been advertising elsewhere, glad you decided to skip that here.

First off, your ratios are off. If one would want a better ratio within the 50mg limit you are trying to keep at, a better mixture would be .035 grams perchlorate and .015 g aluminum.

You state 'louder than an M-80'. The definition of an M-80 is vague at best, but it is generally accepted that they contain around 2-3 grams of powder, which is quite a bit more then standard 50mg.

How do you plan to send it? Large containers? How shall the buyers mass the chemicals?

The people buying this are going to to simply make large crackers, instead of the 'legal' 50mg type. I would suggest, if it is to keep as legit as it can, to pre mass and sell vials of the A+B mix seperately, and each mixed will get you the 50mg, it will be harder to see that as an 'illegal salute' operation that way.

Also, I hope your tubes are rather thick, as 50mg isn't much more than standard crackers for sound.

Keep in mind that it would be possible to be liable if a person is in a real survival situation and the crackers fail to be loud enough to attract any attention.

Edit: Your site shows that you sell in large containers with the KClO4 and aluminum, much more than a combined 1 gram for all 20 crackers. It would appear to an agency visitor that you are selling illegal salutes, as you do not state that it totals out to 50mg, you just state they are 100% legal. Even though they have 50mg of powder, I believe there are regulations against creating explosive devices without a license. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Also, your jars are misleadingly labled. The grey one should be labeled 'Aluminum' or similar, not "KClO4 "A" Powder". The jar containing the KClO4 should be labeled as such.

If you are getting any orders in, I am amazed at the profit margin that you are getting on these little kits.

tiac03
April 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM
So you light this thing, it "blows up" and attracts people to your location through noise? Ummm no one see the flaw in this? How many people go into the woods here to carry out "experiments"? And why do you do this... so no one finds or sees you.

Now apply that to this guys invention.
*BOOM*
-Hey! you hear that?
yeah sounded like a big firecracker
-stupid kids
hey maybe its one of those survival crackers?
-where'd it come from?
No clue... sweet! bacon is ready!

you'd be better off with a fecking 25 cent whistle or an air horn like they use at hockey games.

now if it is used as a bear scare it is also useless by the time you get the fuse lit..... also they sell cool bear scares that fire off the top of a pen gun looking thing, easier and quicker to use. (probably cheaper too )

I think the only people that will buy those things are people with a false sense of security, people who like blowing up frogs, and teenagers "kewls,leets" that want to make noise, with no effort.... you'll be rich!

Use for ONLY survival purposes only
does that actually need both the "only's"?

Ropik
April 24th, 2004, 05:03 AM
In my opinion this firecracker is not too useful.
In many environments, when you make short burst of noise(firecracker), the direction of the sound is hard to detect, because the noise bounce off hills, large boulders, even large trees...
Recently I tested ANFO charge in woods - almost1/2 kg of AN/fuel oil - and nobody came. I think that this charge is much more noisy than any firecracker :D .

Really, you should find some other noise to attract attention of rescuers.
If you want to be really sure, use personal alarm commonly used as self-defence tool. 120dB instantly. Cover you ears, however.

0EZ0
April 24th, 2004, 05:40 AM
I personally see many legal implications in selling these kits. It's obvious you are trying the same method of separating the 'harmless' components in transit to the purchaser. I don't see how this will work as with the Tannerite targets.

It certainly does seem as if you are trying to pass off flash powder salutes as some harmless survival product. Obviously there are much better (cheaper more efficient) products that serve the same purpose. The only real attraction being that they so coincidently contain the materials and components for the manufacture of a much sought after pyrotechnic device :rolleyes:.

That aside, make sure there are no irregularities in the instructions with the kit. For a longer visual flash recommend a larger amount of fuel to oxidizer. For more of a 'crack' recommend mixing to stoichiometric proportions. I would also pre-cut the fuse to safe lengths to deter people from cutting an unsafe length which would not allow them to retire to a safe distance.

Seems a crazy idea..

Bert
April 24th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I personally see many legal implications in selling these kits.

Yes. The ATFE has forbidden the sale of "M-80 kits" to the general public in the US for quite some time. You can call it something else, but it's still a kit for making large hand fired ground salutes. I'll be interested to see how long your attempt to sell these lasts.

I remember an identical product labeled as "cultural crackers" in the recent past... These seem to have disappeared from the net.

(edit)
Nope, the "cultural crackers" ARE still being sold, I just didn't search properly the first time-