View Full Version : Methyl-Ethylperchlorate

Nitro
June 18th, 2002, 03:50 PM
I read in the book "Die Chloratesprengstoffe" in an small chapter over Organic Perchlorates about an mixture of Ethylperchlorate and Methylperchlorate 1:3 it should be stronger than NG and the has the same sensitive.Does some one know how to make and purify Ethyl and Methylperchlorate?

cutefix
June 19th, 2002, 09:04 AM
I have heard about organic perchlorates,but not familiar with your type of alkyl perchlorates(ethyl-methyl perchlorates)..However we did have in the past little experimental experience with some organic perchlorates such as ethylenediamine diperchlorate,urea perchlorate methylamine perchlorate.There was somebody I know who tried to follow the patent files in the lab for ethylenediamine diperchlorate and Biguanide diperchlorate.Indeed these material(biguanide diperchlorate) according to one experimenter live up to the expectation to be on par with PETN in sensitivity and explosive power(VOD and Detonation pressure). Most of these perchlorates we tested contain amine nitrogen(made from alkyamine).That is why in Lead block test evaluation these explosives produce mainly gaseous products nitrogen,chlorine and water and little carbon oxides,enabling it to give expansion twice as high as known explosives TNT and even picric acid.Therefore it is expected that they can provide the explosive potential of NG.
The problem of these organic perchlorates eventhough they are easy to make from the reaction perchloric acid/inorganic perchlorate salts and the amines.Most are extremely hygroscopic(therefore very miscible with water).The must be evaporated using rotary evaporator (preferably under vacuum) and you have to recrystallize several times in certain solvents including absolute alcohol –ethyl ether mix,etc.
If you are interested in synthesizing it,the direct way is to use at least 50% perchloric acid.Or you can add sulfuric acid to metal perchlorates solution.

<small>[ June 19, 2002, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: cutefix ]</small>

vulture
June 19th, 2002, 12:18 PM
IIRC, there are some perchloric acid esters which are highly explosive and unstable, so watch out for nasty byproducts.
And make sure that before you recrystallize in an organic solvent, all traces of perchloric acid have been neutralised. I say this because perchloric acid is such a strong oxidizer it can spontaneously ignite flammable substances even at room temperature or lower.

Madog555
June 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
hexamine perchlorate interests me. i have been doing some calculations, research, ect. it should be realy powerful.

cutefix
June 23rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
Structurally, Hexamine Monoperchlorate is a big molecule and an oxygen deficient material;slightly inferior to hexamine dinitrate.It can be a possible ingredient in binary and other multicomponent type composite explosives ( similar with hexamine KIFE formulations).
Compared to monomethylamine perchlorate and ethylenediamine diperchlorate which are smaller linear molecules and have sufficient oxygen to be considered as self explosive like PETN.Therefore can be detonated alone.