View Full Version : Decent Piece of Iraqi Home-engineering

festergrump
April 23rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
A friend of mine just e-mailed me this picture of a nice piece of Iraqi home engineering. (Searching for more info on the net, I found it on Yahoo. Can't post pic as an attachment, so see the pic and caption here (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040414/481/jbm10504141644&e=14&ncid=1756) ).
For the time spent on making it, I believe I’d have produced 4 separate units and made them a bit shorter. Hell, the whole contraption looks a little on the heavy side, as well. Give me a sack full of LAW rockets over this deal, any day, but I give the guy an “A” for actually producing something remotely worthy out of what he had on hand.

I wonder what is used for the explosive charge for the warhead. I'm under the impression that AN is more widely used than any other in that part of the world. Am I wrong?

Right now I'd honestly be hard pressed to build something better, but "necessity IS the mother of invention", and I'm sure the guy that made this deemed it necessary! :D

aikon
April 23rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
I saw a tv special about some "freedom fighters" in iraq who build their own rpg's and mortars. It's very impressive to see what those people convert into lethal weapons under such circumstances.
And don't forget: Those guys never had access to roguesci.org

Arkangel
April 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
It's my guess that they fired some form of artillery rocket from it (maybe an RPG) - judging by the face shield, peeking over the top of a wall. It would surprise me if they used home made rockets, with there being so much ordinance out there.

nbk2000
April 24th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Looks like something for firing 2.75" HYDRA rockets.