View Full Version : Math Program available

darkdontay
May 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Wolfram.Research.Mathematica
PRICE ........: $1,880.00
WEBSITE.......: http://www.wolfram.com

Should be available at your local software cache in just a couple hours.

I have a couple more math ones coming.
This one is about 100mb compressed.

megalomania
May 10th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Wow, I never knew mathematica was that expensive. I have a copy, but I have never used it. That Wolfram guy is supposed to be some sort of mad genius, the next Einstein they say.

matjaz
May 10th, 2004, 04:42 AM
If you want a program for doing symbolic math which you WILL use, I recommend Derive. It started as a 200kB DOS thingie, written in asm, and evolved into a bigger Win application. Very useful when helping your neighbor's kid do the math homework. :)

If SWIM can find it on old floppies, it will be on the FTP today, he figures. It's an old DOS version, but runs happily in a command session under Windows.

EDIT: It's up.
Derive 2.07 for DOS.zip
170 kB.

nbk2000
May 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Does this version require a serial port dongle, like the one I saw? If so, how are you going to upload the dongle? :confused:

Or is it, presumably, a cracked version? ;)

zaibatsu
May 10th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I think I've got a copy of a software called Matlab somewhere, if that is any good I'll upload it.

Rhadon
May 10th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Mathematica is usually used for exact computations (yields results like Pi1/2), whereas Matlab is a tool which is used for numerical computations (yields results like 1.33134). I'm using Mathematica because I prefer exact results, it suffices all of my needs and is comparatively easy to use. It can also compute numerical approximations of the exact values if necessary.

darkdontay
May 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
This one is cracked. I am going to upload it into a folder so that if the upload fails I will only have to re-up a 14.4mb file rather then a 97.6mb file.

Well you you already have mathlab I will not bother finishing getting that one.

My cousin, who is a lead supervisor at a local chemical analytical company made the comment to me before, when I was talking to him about getting my degree in chemistry as well. "Your chemistry classes are going to be the only thing that really separates you from a math major". It sounds funny but it is very true. Chemistry requires allot of math, and not just the kind you can do easily on a simple .99$ calculator

[UPDATE]
I can not seem to get anything beyond a 200kb file to uploadto the ftp.
The FTP seems to allways say up load is completed..Not true my FTP program says that. I am currently running SmartFTP. That might be where the problem lay. I will look into another program.

Corona
May 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I have just got my hands on a copy of Derive-6 which Matjaz mentioned. Its for windows XP and the crack works. It seems to be a pretty neat piece of software (just installed it).

I'm sending it up.
------------------------
The trusted mathematical assistant of students, educators, engineers and scientists worldwide, Derive software does for algebra, equations, trigonometry, vectors, matrices and calculus what the graphing handheld does for high school math.

A powerful Computer Algebra System, Derive can easily solve a wide range of symbolic and numeric problems. Results can be plotted as 2-D graphs or 3-D color surfaces, enabling different approaches to problem solving.

Now even more powerful and easier to use than previous editions, Derive 6 also enables you to:

Display the steps in the simplification of an expression along with the transformation rules applied
Send and receive math worksheets to and from the TI-89, TI-92 Plus, and Voyage™ 200 graphing handhelds
Animate parameterized expression plots with slider bars
Automatically label plots showing the expression being plotted
Rotate 3-D plots using the mouse
Easily navigate the online help using the table of contents
Customize toolbars, shortcut keys, and menus
-------------------------

edit: my upload is going through rough seas (I'm finding uploads rather hard lately..why?)... Please check when its done (6.6 MB). If there is any problem with the file, please let me know.