View Full Version : Needed: propane tank adapter.

megalomania
May 17th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I have a hose obtained from a propane fired heater that I connect to my bunson burners. The hose connects to a propane tank on one end, and the other end is a standard pipe fitting that I attached a barbed nipple for attaching burner tubing. Unfortunately, they don’t fill the old style propane tanks anymore. The new tanks have a valve that will not attach to my hose. I would like to know if there is an adapter to connect new fittings to old fittings, or a hose with a new fitting to replace the one I have. I have searched, but I have found neither. If anyone knows what I am talking about, please steer me in the right direction.

I suppose I could build my own, I would need a propane hose, and I could cut the other end off and attach a tubing to pipe thread adapter. I don’t know how to attach adapters to tubing, so if anyone knows how to do that I am interested.

MightyQuinn®
May 17th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Will this do. It connects a 20lb tank to a heater. A quick call could confirm it's for a new style tank. Then just swap the old tank for a full new one at the local Turkey Hill store. :)

http://www.heatershop.com/mr_heater_portable_buddy_20lb_kit.html

** Edit: I just found this little tidbit:

The new tanks have both the new external threads and the old style internal threads. This would mean that you old hose should work.

megalomania
May 18th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Ah ha, so the new tanks work with old connectors, that is good to know. Thanks, MQ :)