View Full Version : Retorts for sale on ebay, cheap

megalomania
May 18th, 2004, 01:42 AM
There is currently a company called Avogadro's Lab Supply selling retorts on Ebay for only $30 each. Retorts can be used to distill nitric acid, they are also quite rare these days. $30 is a very good deal for an all glass simple distillation apparatus.

The link for the auction is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26406&item=3815513252&rd=1

The link for the buy it now item is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26406&item=3815256745

There are plenty available. If I didn't already have 3 complete sets of the real thing I would buy one of these.

tmp
May 18th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Mega, that is an excellent price for retorts, but like you I have my fair share.
I have 2 each of 500ml and 1000ml and I rarely use them. For anyone interested
in these hard to find pieces of glass, they're perfect for general acid distillation
provided you don't need vacuum. Retorts also make the perfect gift for the
chemist. Long before modern distillation setups came on the scene, having a
retort in the lab was considered a sign of the serious chemist. BTW, I found
both of my 1000ml retorts on eBay for about $80 each. I consider that an
excellent price for that size !

FinnBell
May 18th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I will definitely have to get one of those. How well do they work? I mean looking at it, it doesnt look like the fumes would condense very well. I dunno I have never used one before. I was planning on buying an all out distillation setup with a 24/40 graham condenser and all. But if this works well enough, I might as well get one for right now.

nbk2000
May 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
You can always make a cold-water condensing jacket using stoppers and PVC pipe fittings, putting that around the retorts takeoff.

Is there anyway to buy shit off of e-bay without giving them your lifes history to get an account? All this crap about providing credit card info or bank account numbers is a real put-off for me.

FinnBell
May 18th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Im pretty sure you dont have to do that. If you only want to purchase items, you can choose to pay for items with money orders or whatever. BUT if you want to sell items, then you must enter credit card information. It could be different now because I signed up for my account like years ago but Im pretty sure its the same.

tmp
May 18th, 2004, 10:07 PM
You have to be registered on eBay to buy or sell. I made an inquiry to an eBay
seller about purchases outside eBay. I explained that some people are still
uncomfortable about making purchases over the Internet due to fraud and
identity theft. I'll post again when a I receive the reply.

MightyQuinnŽ
May 18th, 2004, 11:16 PM
It is against ebay rules to conduct a transaction off eBay for an item currently for sale on eBay. Replying to sales requests from outside of eBay is also looked upon poorly. Contact me if you need other options. I am a registered eBay user.

FinnBell
May 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Yes it seriously frowned upon but there really is no way for them to find out, and do anything about it at that. I tried to bid on some glassware one time and when I got outbid the guy emailed me and told me that I could buy some off ebay and I ended up doing that. So it just depends on the person too. Cause if they dont say anything it doesnt matter.

tmp
May 19th, 2004, 02:36 AM
I know it's against eBay rules to conduct sales on listed items outside eBay.
However, some of these sellers will sell you other items not listed for
sale on eBay. I once got outbid for a graham condenser, then the seller
sent me an e-mail informing me that another condenser was available and
would sell it to me for my bid. I rejected the idea, suspecting that the 1st
condenser had been shill bid up to what he really wanted. Fuck him !
BTW, I know the seller cannot sell that particular retort outside eBay because
bids have already been placed. The seller may have other retorts not listed
on eBay. If you don't want to go through eBay, check the company below.
Recently, they added the 1000ml retorts at a very reasonable price.

CR-Scientific
232 Cokesbury Road
Lebanon, New Jersey 08833
(908) 236-0369
www.crscientific.com
Retorts: 250ml - $39.95, 500ml $49.95, 1000ml - $64.95
Shipping is added in separately.

I bought 2 of my retorts from this company. They will accept checks, money
orders, PayPal, and credit cards(American Express,MasterCard,Visa)

zaibatsu
May 19th, 2004, 06:40 AM
NBK:

When I registered on Ebay, I needed either a CC number, or an email address that was from a non-free place. Which is fucking stupid, because I still used a free email address and registered fine. Provide a fake home address (but not obviously fake) and when you win the goods on the auction explain that you've moved or such and that you have a new address. Then send a money order or cash to pay for the goods.

FinnBell
May 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM
A lot of the times, if people are selling stuff on ebay, they also have a website where they sell the same stuff from. I guess putting it on ebay serves the purpose of giving their products a little exposure. I bought some stuff from this guy and turns out he had the same stuff on his website at Unitedglasstech (www.unitedglasstech.com) ,the prices arent really all that great but at the time he was having a special on beakers, and I happened to be in dire need of some new ones.

Jacob Kell
April 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM
sorry to open an old topic, but I don't know where to ask this. I need some good distillation setup for making nitric acid, as I became very afraid of fumes, even thought of one molecule of NO getting out scares me. Does anyone know about those distillation setups at unitedglass.com, one with 24/40 joints, is there a chance of something getting out? I don't know because never bought any real still, before I was happy with improvised stuff, but don't want to us it any more. can someone help me?

Jacob Kell
sorry to open an old topic, but I don't know where to ask this. I need some good distillation setup for making nitric acid, as I became very afraid of fumes, even thought of one molecule of NO getting out scares me. Does anyone know about those distillation setups at unitedglass.com, one with 24/40 joints, is there a chance of something getting out? I don't know because never bought any real still, before I was happy with improvised stuff, but don't want to us it any more. can someone help me?

Jacob Kell

Pb1
April 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM
If you had a small leak in a vacuum distillation setup, any gas would escape inward, so you should be okay. About UGT, I and many others have bought from them and never had any problems. If you want vacuum glassware, buy it from them.

P.S. This had been discussed ad nauseam in this forum, just search.

Pb1
If you had a small leak in a vacuum distillation setup, any gas would escape inward, so you should be okay. About UGT, I and many others have bought from them and never had any problems. If you want vacuum glassware, buy it from them.

Pb1

Jacob Kell
April 17th, 2005, 08:17 PM
well, yes but problem is that I don't have a vacuum pump. for some time, I don't have any acid and I realy need something good for concentrating battery acid and distilling nitric. I live in apartment with a very small balcony where I used to boil 38%acid sometimes, it is not safe and I have to wait for very strong wind. also, for nitric acid, I used to conect 2 bottles with tape and distill for a very long time under low flame. So what glassware do you think is the best for distilling inside, if I don't have vacuum?

Jacob Kell
well, yes but problem is that I don't have a vacuum pump. for some time, I don't have any acid and I realy need something good for concentrating battery acid and distilling nitric. I live in apartment with a very small balcony where I used to boil 38%acid sometimes, it is not safe and I have to wait for very strong wind. also, for nitric acid, I used to conect 2 bottles with tape and distill for a very long time under low flame. So what glassware do you think is the best for distilling inside, if I don't have vacuum?

Jacob Kell

TheHitMan
April 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
To answer above to whom said it was "frowned upon doing sales outside of ebay" to which I reply it's only frowned upon as ebay are loosing out on the selling fee's which you have to pay for sell an item.

For this reason and this reason alone is why it's frowned upon.

TheHitMan
To answer above to whom said it was "frowned upon doing sales outside of ebay" to which I reply it's only frowned upon as ebay are loosing out on the selling fee's which you have to pay for sell an item.

TheHitMan