View Full Version : whoa, weird AP - Archive file

zaibatsu
October 13th, 2002, 09:56 AM
The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 29, 2001 09:49 PM
I used the same recipe as in my "Please Respond quickly" post, but I'm having some pretty weird AP forming. To put it as simple as I can there are fluffly little clouds floating in my jar and there are 3 layers visible. White clouds on the bottom, a clear layer, then a layer of tan liquid (the H2SO4 made the whole solution tan at first). Any one know what's going on, I'm confident that the jar was pretty clear.

I'm also wondering if I formed the dimer and is there a way to tell in a reasonably safe manner?

ALENGOSVIG1
posted January 29, 2001 10:03 PM
Larger crystalls are usually the dimmer ver

------------------
Explosives Archive

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted January 29, 2001 10:14 PM
the tan is probly an impurity. if you want to be really safe, discard the whole batch in a public restroom, if you don't really care, (which i wouldn't, i would at least test the stuff first,) i would keep a close eye on the finished result and make sure to use it up within days. the dimmer is more unstable then the trimmer. hit it with a hammer, lightly, and if you know your other AP wouldn't have gone off and this one did... then you have the dimmer (most likly) try the test where you placed the stuff between the two pennies. where you actually slammed it the second time to make it detonate... try it with this AP and see if you can get it to go off just by lightly dropping it. the key to figuring out, is consitency in your testing.

------------------
...Æ

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 29, 2001 10:31 PM
thanks
will test
the crystals appear to be pretty fine, but I've never seen them "clump" together like that.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted January 29, 2001 11:29 PM
Did first pull a flame test on the wet crystals appeared to be as normal. These crystals are ultrafine.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted January 30, 2001 01:22 PM
that is good, that is the way you want them. i personally have never got anything but ultrfine, flour like crystals. mine have also always been really powerful too.