View Full Version : Nitro accident (non-explosive) - HELP !

Boomer
May 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I have a problem. A funny one. I stored a 110ml bottle NG in my fridge at lowest setting (it does not freeze then) for five month now. It is an antique glass pill bottle, very old and stylish. Last weekend I wanted to check the ph once again and took it out, when the door bell rang.

Not knowing who was out there, I wanted to have it out of sight and put it into the wardrobe, in an empty compartment above my clothes. You guess it: I forgot it there over night. I have had bad headaches for two days now, and when I looked into the wardrobe yesterday I knew why: The bottle had cracked (probably from age + temp rise) at the bottom, the whole content dispersed over three compartments, soaked into the wood and into some clothes. :p

The clothes can go through the washer twice at high temp, that gets the NG out (tried method).

BUT: The wardrobe is an inherited, antique piece, which I cannot discard. And I have no idea how to get the NG out of the (untreated = porous) wood! Alcohol will only get it soaked deeper into the material. I know that HCl + tin powder destroy NG, as well as the NG-destroyer from the blasters handbook (IIRC with acetone, sulphite etc.). But what will they do to the wood?

Any ideas anybody? I don’t want to sleep forever on the coach. :rolleyes:

a_bab
May 27th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Well, eventualy you'll either get used to the NG, or you'll develop a chronic intoxication if the NG vapours level is too high.

It's tricky, because you don't know how much is the wood socked. I don't think that the wood will be attacked by the bisulhite solution. Do some tests on a small area and see the results.

Can't you try getting the wardrobe out under the sun so the NG will vaporise? I know NG is not very volatile, but it should help coroborated with the bisulfite/acetone NG killer.

Alternatively, since the NG was spilled inside, you can try masking it with a layer of protective paint or something.

Now you have a "dinamite" wardrobe...

frogfot
May 27th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I'd remove the affected board outside for a year or something and leave the rest of wardrobe standing.. though this can be probably done only with furnitures from IKEA :p

I think NG may discolor the wood (not sure). Would it be possible to "eluate" the NG from board.. like keep the board vertically and slowly drop on it with alcohol until all NG walks out.. just a thoat.. :rolleyes:

Ropik
May 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Maybe if you can obtain something like dimethylsulfoxide for wood and mix it with NG destroyer. Substance similar to this(similar to the "penetrator", not NG destroyer) is used with insecticides for killing wood-destroying bugs and worms inside the furniture. Try some good garden/home store for sale of this liquid.
I'm not sure, however, with mixing ability for NG destroyer and with effects of this mixture on the wardrobe.
I wish you good luck with this or any other attempt.

Rhadon
May 27th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I assume that the NG is soaked into the wood only on the inside of the wardrobe. Since it's stained now anyway, you might just paint it over with clear varnish. That should suffice to enclose the NG, but I don't want to be the villain if it doesn't work ;).

To minimize visible effects you should not only paint over the NG stained spots and around them, but put the varnish on all affected surfaces in order to cover them completely. If you ask in a paint-store, maybe they can tell you which varnish will leave the least visible traces on antique pieces of furniture. If they can't, a furniture restorer can. Of course, you need to paint it over with something that isn't permeable by NG, but I thought that I should mention it because I don't know too much about the properties of common paints and varnishes.

nbk2000
May 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM
The wood might be acidic from age, or maybe the varnish, whatever. You've got a quarter pound of high explosive absorbed into a solidified form of sawdust, meaning dynamite.

Nitro is sensitive to acidic conditions.

Want to store that in your house?

A-BOMB
May 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Gut the inside of the wardrobe and remove the offending boards the replace them, its better than closing the door alittle to hard and having in a metal coat hanger embeded in your head.

Zeitgeist
May 29th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Gut the inside of the wardrobe and remove the offending boards the replace them, its better than closing the door alittle to hard and having in a metal coat hanger embeded in your head.

It depends how hard it would be to dismantle.

I wouldn't want to be sawing and hammering

nuke_2b
May 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM
If you spilled this on a patio/deck, you might consider powerwashing it. Any chance of doing the same to this?