View Full Version : The Rogue Science bittorrent tracker is active again

megalomania
August 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM
If any of you have a bittorrent file you wish to distribute please avail yourself of the Rogue Science tracker. The essential links are:

www.roguesci.org/torrent/mystats.php To see our torrents
www.roguesci.org/torrent/tracker.php To add your own torrent

After you create your new torrent you must start seeding it right away. New torrents that are not seeded will not be added to the tracker and will automaticially be deleted after some time.

Anyone and everyone can use our tracker to make a torrent available. Please do not abuse the free and open nature of the tracker by distributing material unrelated to The Forum.

If you have a torrent to offer please create a new thread describing the file and attach the torrent file, and/or post a link to the torrent (preferably attach it here). You may upload torrent files using our tracker to other bittorrent related websites if you wish.

Creating a torrent is easy, just use a torrent creator program (like maketorrent available at http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/maketorrent/ ) and set the tracker as www.roguesci.org/torrent/tracker.php.

Scientist
September 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I tried to add two torrents with maketorrent, but it failed.
After creating the torrents and starting them I got a message after some time that they couldn't connect to the tracker.

megalomania
September 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM
At one point or another all trackers fail for mysterious reasons. I have yet to download a torrent and not get that message at least once, and usually every few minutes. And yet all the torrents go through...

I should add that a torrent will not appear on the tracker unless you open your new torrent and start seeding it. If you do not seed your new torrent it will not appear on the tracker! Why don't you try to seed your torrents again Scientist? If any message pops up saying it can't connect just ignore it, it is largely meaningless. Click to close it, or just leave it alone, you will always get this message, again it is meaningless.

Scientist
September 5th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I'll try again tomorrow.

Nevermore
January 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM
i keep getting error from tracker..
seems nobody uses the torrent now...

thegman
January 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
For everyone who cant get it on bittorent, im not sure if it works, but you cant try Exeem, it doesnt require a tracker, Or better yet you can just use the Emule...

knowledgehungry
January 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Me too, I cant get the damn thing to work.

Anthony
January 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM
The latest news is that the tracker software is kaput. Apparently the programmers working on it bailed when he pigs started raiding the torrent sites, so it is incomplete.

Might be a while until something is sorted.

Nevermore
January 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
well SWIM could setup a few websites-ftp with the complete mirror of the ftp in rar format...it would be faster and easier to download instead of browsing the whole forum ftp selectin what is needed..

Jacks Complete
January 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM
OK, can anyone tell me how to use this BitTorrent thing? I can easily set up half a dozen things to seed, leach, whatever, on lots of bandwidth connections, but I have no idea what to do with these torrent names. Do I download something extra to get it to connect? How does it know where to connect to? I understand the concept that you exchange bits, I just don't seem to be able to get the system to work.

Silentnite
January 9th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Basically it should work in the background. When you click on something to download, if its a torrent, then you can select to use Bittorrent to download it. It downloads the tracker file, and then uses that to find other sources for the download.
Um, what kind of browser are you using? Because firefox will let you click to download and then choose to "Open" it with either bittorrent or just save to disk.
Let me know how it goes.

Jacks Complete
January 9th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I'm obviously being dumb - I am using Firefox, but when I go to http://www.roguesci.org/torrent/mystats.php?seededonly=yes I can see several names, but there are no links. Where are the links? Or do I copy and paste this and put it into a separate program like BitTorrent?

Also, how do I know what the very long hashes mean?
fc2008528d9c45f518bb8b4572d2a67b149e008b
for example?

I'm using Firefox 1.0 mostly, currently on XP. I can use anything from 0.7 upwards. Also I have Linux boxes. I can run almost any of the current browsers and OSes, in fact, bar Mac (I can test those, but not from this location). I'm just new to this Torrent thing! I have installed v.3.4.2 of BitTorrent.

Any help is much appreciated!

Silentnite
January 9th, 2005, 04:18 PM
1. Download Bittorrent.
2. Double click on the icon, and then it should self-extract, and install.
3. When you click on a torrent link on a website, it should pop up with a *what would you like to open this with* Frame.
4. It should also automatically provide bittorrent as the reccommended program to open it with. Click on that, and then click on open.
Firefox will download it(the tracker file) and send it to bittorrent. An instance of bittorrent will pop up and start downloading.

Jacks Complete
January 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM
{Deleted redundant stuff}

I've now read everything I can find on BitTorrent, and what I need to know is, where are the .torrent files?

EDIT: Ok, I have now found a .torrent file from another site, and it is working. I just saved it, then ran it. I still can't find where the .torrent files are around here, though.

EDIT2: Right, found one, but there isn't anyone seeding it - is there a way to use the names in the tracker to download the files?

Silentnite
January 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
That bit is whats had me stumped for the last two weeks. Im not sure, it says that there are torrents that people are seeding, but I sure as hell cant find them.
If someone were to start seeding it again, I wouldnt mind hosting it. As I only have a 56K, well itll be a little slow. But I will try to always be seeding it as I get my internet for free...

Jacks Complete
January 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Well, the torrent tracker isn't faulty, since the numbers change, and the torrents come and go. It is just that I can't get the torrents to actually start, due to the MySQL error. (See http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?p=69078#post69078 for details of why the tracker isn't working.)

Until Mega or someone looks at that, there is no way to go forward.