View Full Version : Zinc Chloride Solubility

horadrim
August 21st, 2004, 04:28 AM
I recently attempted to make ZnCl2 by electrolysis in a salt bridge setup with NaCl electrolyte, Zn anode and Pb cathode. In the anode cell, I got a grainy white preciptate after 6 hours which I assume to be ZnCl2 . In the cathode cell there was a very basic solution which should be NaOH. I filtered the anode solution and recovered a large amount of precipitate, and the filtrate was very clear.

According to the MSDS at J.T. Baker (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/z2280.htm) the solubility is 432g/100g water. This seems a very large amount to be dissolved in 100g water. Yet another MSDS states that ZnCl2 is insoluble in water. Does anyone know for sure what amount ZnCl2 is soluble in water? I assume it is because I found many MSDS for "Zinc Chloride Solution", but they did not state the solubility.

FUTI
August 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I recently attempted to make ZnCl2 by electrolysis in a salt bridge setup with NaCl electrolyte, Zn anode and Pb cathode. In the anode cell, I got a grainy white preciptate after 6 hours which I assume to be ZnCl2 . In the cathode cell there was a very basic solution which should be NaOH. I filtered the anode solution and recovered a large amount of precipitate, and the filtrate was very clear.

According to the MSDS at J.T. Baker (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/z2280.htm) the solubility is 432g/100g water. This seems a very large amount to be dissolved in 100g water. Yet another MSDS states that ZnCl2 is insoluble in water. Does anyone know for sure what amount ZnCl2 is soluble in water? I assume it is because I found many MSDS for "Zinc Chloride Solution", but they did not state the solubility.

Don't think I'm some jugdemental type of a chemist. No I'm just a grumpy lab guy reading jokes that people wrotes sometimes:) All right I want joke more (or less as we are up to that). Zinc-chloride is a most soluble metal salt that you can easily find, as you already write quoting MSDS (JTBaker! ha, we learn very quick!:) but it is most likely for its hydrate easily soluble form of it. The other information you find is for an anhydrous zinc-chloride, and some of that kind are polimerous substances (that won't dissolve easy and can during process hydrolyse to less soluble basic salt etc.). Anhydrous salt can sometimes on prolonged storage in bad caped bottles uptake water from air and dissolve (I saw that!). You didn't describe your cell very well so I can not help more, but I can tell that I doubt that you got an ZnCl2 as precipitate in it.

horadrim
August 26th, 2004, 02:57 AM
After further research, I believe my mystery precipitate is ZnO. It is insoluble in water, but very soluble in HCl. After neutralizing the remaining acid, the ZnO precipitated out of solution and filtered very easily.

Not sure what it might be good for other than sunscreen.

horadrim
August 27th, 2004, 10:13 PM
No, I'm not a chemist but I would very much like to be one.

I didn't realize that ZnCl2 was really that soluble, thanks

croc
August 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Quote: "I'm not a chemist"

You better be very careful with that lead electrode, this might be generating soluble lead chlorides which are also very poisonous. If you think that you are inexperienced maybe you should stay away from soluble lead salts.
(BTW. This in not a flame)

FUTI
August 28th, 2004, 10:25 AM
You are wellcome:)
Some of the interesting salts are very soluble..for example NH4NO3. It takes only 100g water to dissolve 850g NH4NO3. ZnCl2 is much less soluble that this but compared to common NaCl is still veeery soluble.
Anyway ZnO can maybe be of some use since I remember they use it for alcohol dehydrogenatin and dehydration procedure but it's so vague to me now that I can only point you to the thread that disscus acetaldehyde production.

meselfs
August 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
The smartest way to make zinc chloride (IMO) is to shave all the copper off of pennies (only those made after 1985, or something like that) with a grinder, put them in a bowl, then keep adding hydrochloric acid to them until they dissolve. Now, you just boil them until dry.

Bugger
August 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Zn++ would precipitate out as hydrous ZnO or Zn(OH)2 if the solution was moderately alkaline, although at very high pH it would redissolve as zincate.

Another use of ZnO is as an ultraviolet-light absorber, in anti-sunburn creams and in white or light-colored paints.

John W.