View Full Version : Peroxide creme

SATANIC
May 21st, 2002, 09:14 PM
I've just bought some peroxide creme (for hair dyeing) that i was told by the shop owner contained 30% peroxide (250mls for $5 aus)

I now get it home, and it's actually 30 volumes. the small print on the back states it contains 9%.

what i actually want to know is if it is safe for using in AP production. It contains not just the normal deionised water, and H2O2, but Phosphoric acid Methylparaben. i'm assuming this is to give it the creme consistency.

Is it going to be safe to use? Or, being an acid, will it need no added catylyst (HCl or H2SO4?)

mongo blongo
May 21st, 2002, 11:00 PM
By being an acid do you mean the Phosphoric acid?
If you do , it acts as a stabilizer (H2O2 decomposition). It will not act as a catalyst for AP synth.

SATANIC
May 22nd, 2002, 02:30 AM
yep, i meant as a catylyst for the synthesis. oh well, as long as it isn't going to do any damage / cause instabilities.

the Phosphoric acid Methylparaben is one ingredient. it isn't just the acid.

This is the cheapest i have ever found H2O2 in aus, so it would be a real blow to find out it didn't work.

Mick
May 22nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
if you search the forum for 7 litres of 60% H2O2 you will find a topic that i posted a while ago about cheap 60% H2O2 in OZ that can be bought from a pool shop(no id, or any shit needed, its a simple over the counter product.)

buying anything from a chemist is going to be ungodly expensive.
if you must buy low conc peroxide, but the 3% from supermarket, its shit loads cheaper then what you will buy in the chemist.

however, why pay $10 for 500ml of 3%, when you can pay $30 for 7 litres of %60.

there are a few ups and down with the 60% tho, a good point is the reaction is ultra fast(like i can make 200g+ in an hour) downside is it gets really hot really quick, so you really do need to have good cooling -leaving a container of salt water in the freeze for atleast 3 hours before hand is a good way. also, because it is such a high conc when you add the H2O2 to the acetone, the reaction starts without the catalyst(sp?)
even tho the reaction is slow, it still puts out alot of heat which means you need to cool the vesel from the start, because once it starts to heat up you can not cool it back sufficently and you will end up with the dimmer.
just a few tips.(ultimatly, if you couldn't be assed cooling it down heaps you can always dilute it down to 30%)

Pu239 Stuchtiger
May 22nd, 2002, 08:56 PM
I think phosphoric acid actually would work as a catalyst for preparing acetone peroxide. The reaction probably wouldn't be too quick, though, because phosphoric acid is not a strong acid.

SATANIC
May 22nd, 2002, 09:28 PM
It would have to be stirred the whole time, because it is a rather thick cream.

Mick, i used to pay $6 for 200mls of 3%. It was the only stuff i could find, in a chemist. obviously, i didn't produce AP in great quantities.

Is it a simple matter to dilute the 60% H2O2? just add water?
I'd rather do that than be worried about overheating, especially if i was making large batches (which is, i know, not good practice)

when i get my other (acetone, HCl) stuff together, i'll post results.

PYRO500
May 22nd, 2002, 10:31 PM
it is pretty easy to dilute H2O2, all yo do is add water. I have found that past 30% the yeild can decrease and past 20% you start getting very large amounts of AP that will make the majority of your solution filled with packed crystals, I have made about 200G of AP in an hour and a half with 30% in a salt ice bath with slow addition of HCL until the reaction was complete. I did not keep this stuff for very long and I dried it with paper towels between parts of news paper, I had a 200G charge of AP within 3 hours that when confined in some styrofoam cups and topped with a straw segment with KNO3+sugar and a length of fuse with nichrome through it I managed to get an electrical initiated device that when buried a few feet under managed to lift a cinder block a few feet in the air!

vulture
May 25th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Make sure you add distilled water, otherwise the H2O2 could start decomposing.
Anybody ever considered using powders or tablets that contain perborates or percarbonates. It's sometimes sold as stain removing salt or desinfectant tablets for dental stuff. IIRC, they liberate H2O2 in contact with water. I once saw stain removing salt that contained 30% percarbonate and had an oxidizing symbol on it.

PYRO500
May 25th, 2002, 12:09 PM
was this stuff OXY clean? I rember hearing a long time ago about someone making AP with little tablets they got from a chemist.

vulture
May 25th, 2002, 01:06 PM
It was some product from <a href="http://www.hginternational.com" target="_blank">HG international</a>. It some kind of stain removing salt, but i can't find it on the website.

Cricket
May 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
I think it was sodium perobate (or something that starts with a p). Thats all I remember now (really drunk).

Zambosan
May 28th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Oxi-clean is definitely (mostly) sodium percarbonate, for what it's worth.