View Full Version : How to make H2N2O2?

The_Rsert
August 27th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Has somone ever made it?
Does somebody know how to make H2N2O2?
It's an white powder wich is very explosiv and sensitiv to shock and friction.
Maybe you can make it so: N2O + H20 (maybe + cataylsator) ---> H2N2O2?

meselfs
August 28th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Merck says that your chemical is called nitramide. Here's some pieces of info from it:

Prepd from potassium nitrocarbamate: Thiele, Lachmann, Ber. 27, 1909, (1894)

[Now that's vague...]

Unstable, shiny white leaflets from ether + petr ether, mp 72-75 (dec). Should be freshly prepd when needed.

Unfortunately, there's no entry for potassium nitrocarbamate, neither is there for the sodium salt.

See also:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=4100
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=261

I personally think this stuff isn't especially useful, however the ammonium salt sounds interesting...

krimmie
August 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Actually, H2N2O2 is Hyponitrous acid: an explosive crystalline weak acid. The following link provides this half reaction 2HNO2 + 4H+ + 4e -----> H2N2O2 + 2H2O.

http://www.chemicalelements.homestead.com/nitrogen.html

The_Rsert
November 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks!
When I have enough nitrite salts, I will make some tests.
But now I'm hard up with my pocket money :( ...

FUTI
November 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I bevieve that is a very hard to make substance so in the end you may find it to much of a trouble for the results obtained.

I think also that it will react with ammonia, but maybe the ammonium salt is hard to make as is the case with nitrite.

Joeychemist
November 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Hyponitrous acid- (Chem.), an unstable nitrogen acid, {NOH},
whose salts are produced by reduction of the nitrates,
although the acid itself is not isolated in the free state
except as a solution in water; -- called also {nitrosylic
acid}.

Is it just me or shouldn’t there be a lot more information on this substance?
:(

I have just searched for about an hour and have found nothing other than an old text book from grade twelve that has some info about this acid but it is not much use to us.I found nothing Not even a patent. I found that the Molecular weight is: 62, 03. And the melting point is well…. It just says that it explodes when it melts. Not to informative eh?

vurr
December 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Brauer,Georg-Handbuch Der Präparativen Anorganischen Chemie BAND I.pdf
page 480

The_Rsert
December 10th, 2004, 10:52 AM
I have just found this in an old (1939) German chemistry book (H. Remy, Lehrbuch der anorganischen Chemie, Band 1,):

Hyponitrous acid and hyponitrites:
Free hyponitrous aicd, H2N2O2 builds white, on air melting and very explosiv cristalls. ... It's good soluble in water an ethanol, bad soluble in diethyl ether. ...
Hyponitrites can be easily prepared by neutralising the acid with an alkali hydroxide ... H2N2O2 ---> H20+N2O ...
Hyponitrous acid can be precipatet, when a "salpetrigsaures" salt or NxOx will be reduced by sodium amalgam in water.
It can be prepared, by oxidation of hydroxyl amine or by condensation of nitrous acid with hydroxyl amine. The yield will be poor.

2 Ag2O + 2 H2NOH ---> H2N2O2 + 2 H2O + 4 Ag
or
HONH2 + ONOH ---> H2N2O2 + H2O

Nitramides and hyponitrites are related isomers...

Sorry my camera and my scanner are fucked up :)