View Full Version : Is IN3 an explosive?

The_Rsert
August 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Has someone of you made JN3?
I tried this: AgN3 + J2 ---> JN3 + AgJ.
But it don't explode!
Is something wrong with this Idea?

Has someone of you tried to make ammonium azide (N4H4) or hydraziniume azide (N5H5)?

Sorry about my english :( :p :D !

megalomania
August 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
And what, pray tell, is element J ?!?

Sarevok
August 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
There is no thing such as J among the elements, not even among the temporary names for the artificial ones.

Anyways, he is talking about a non-metallic compound that usually has a valency of -1 (you can guess this from the compounds he posted, "J2" and "AgJ"). My guess is Iodine.

HyggeDK
August 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yes, The_Rsert is most likely talking about iodine. Perhaps The_Rsert is German or found some German literature. Iodine is called "Jod" in German, for which the symbol "J" is often used. I've seen it used a lot in German articles, especially old ones. Some Germans still use J / J2 instead of I / I2 although it has become obsolete and I most often used.

I have read about the preparation of iodine azide, which is often performed by reacting iodine in ether with silver azide. I have never tried it though since I have never had any use for iodine azide. Lead and silver azide is fun enough for me :)

The_Rsert
November 10th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Yes, I mean IN3 and not JN3, I'm sorry!
I have just asked a proffesor who has prepared IN3 in his study-time on an university for the proporeties: IN3 is more powerful than NI3, large cristalls on the floor will detonate if touched by shoes (this will be a cool joke) but he sayd that it has the same sensivity than NI3.
He don't remember the synth of IN3 exactly, but he sayd that they they don't used another azide like sodium- or silver azide.
He sayd something of using hydrazine and HNO2 directly to get azide salts!
Sounds intersting... I will ask him again next time....

I'm sorry about my bad english....

vurr
December 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM
little off topic,but not much..

reaction of AgN3 and NI3 (3:1) and (im)possible product N(N3)3 ,triazidamine?
if that exsists,then,yes, its nitrogen...
anyone heard/remembers something?