View Full Version : what exactly is that makes you into this stuff?

FUTI
August 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I mean what makes anyone of as to start thinking, gathering info and doing dangerous stuff like this one ;)
I don't do this as my job, although I'm a chemist...I think it is heritage...if I translate my last name from now unrecognisable to most of my countryman mixture of slavic and foreign combination its English translation would be Gunsmith (named by the trade of work). Noone in family (as far as I know) do not practice this line of job but it seem that little bug that dig inside is still somewhere? :p
What is your story guys?

meselfs
August 31st, 2004, 11:09 PM
My mom once asked me: "What's so great about explosives?"

I replied: "They explode."

Hang-Man
August 31st, 2004, 11:41 PM
what makes anyone of as to start thinking, gathering info and doing dangerous stuff like this

Testosterone + IQ over 110 (hopefully) + resources + circumstance.

I always liked fireworks, I had a great chemistry teacher, I had enough money to support a hobby such as this (albeit barely), and I found this place before TOTSE.

xyz
September 1st, 2004, 07:11 AM
Always liked science, particularly chemistry. Had a fascination with anything that burnt or exploded from about age 5 onwards.

And the rest is history... :p

zaibatsu
September 1st, 2004, 07:42 AM
I don't know what makes me into "this stuff" but I am very particular to how people write and the english they use. Please, my cat's faeces could compose a better thread than this.

festergrump
September 1st, 2004, 08:34 AM
I've been a gun enthusiast since I was a small boy. I excelled in science while still in school and always have this nagging desire to know why things happen. After I had to drop out of school to support myself, my studies turned more from a scientific nature to a more mathematical one (geometric and algebraic) due to my job. I still crave knowledge in the field of science (chemistry, mostly), especially things that fizz, pop, and go BOOOOM! Where else can one with such interests appease the mind but Roguesci??!

I guess even though I am far from a scientist or chemist, I do have a scientific mind. I have to PROVE everything to myself else I cannot fullheartedly believe in it or completely understand it.

"You know, THAT old chestnut..." (Dr. Evil inserts tip of pinky finger in corner of mouth).

Swindle1984
September 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
I've always liked guns and explosions. Took an interest in movie special effects and props, which got me involved in figuring out how that sort of thing works. Then I started worrying about the government going all 1984 on us a few years late, and figured I'd better educate myself before all such knowledge is forbidden and lost to the public.

So here I am.

And Zaibatsu... if you're going to be pendantic, spell feces correctly. Otherwise, you can't keep your grammar-nazi status and remain credible.

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/9884/grammarnazi.jpg

kingspaz
September 1st, 2004, 10:16 PM
Swindle, there's more than one way to skin a cat, just as theres more than one way to skin a know it all n00b. If YOU'RE going to make a point of being PEDANTIC, fucking spell it correctly!

If you'd bothered to consult the english dictionary you'd have found that it is acceptable for faeces to be spelt as feces, but faeces is the more common as it more closely resembles the latin it is derived from. You'd also have found out how to spell pedantic correctly.

I suggest you learn the rules fast.

zaibatsu
September 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Swindle:

First, read Kingspaz's post. Second, worrying about 1984 shows your lack of literary knowledge. 1984 is not so worrying as Huxley's "Brave New World". That is truely a scary concept, and a much more sustainable system of oppressive governing than 1984's violent regime.

Also, being bothered with someone misplacing an apostrophe would be grammar-nazi type behaviour. Writing a barely comprehensible post is another matter.

Chris The Great
September 2nd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Well, I've always been interested in electricity, and about two years ago took it upon myself to build a tesla coil. I now have a large interest in high voltage, and decided that chemistry was another thing that always had interested me but I never really went into it. Being someone who likes blowing things up/ burning up/ etc. I figured I should make explosives, like I've always wanted too (and everyone who knows me thought I did anyway ;) ). Of course, this interest in chemistry is pretty knew, and so I haven't actually made anything yet, due to lack of nitric acid.

All of this stems back to my constant desire to learn knew things, by doing them. Being smart is awesome (I'd brag about my IQ, but I realize that it's not a very accurate representation of overall intelligence).

FUTI
September 2nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
I feel responsible for this little dispute since I started the thread:(. I do apologise since I couldn't get myself together at the time I was writing the post to formulate the question in a more rational way, and not so casual way that lot of people and myself use when we answer to a thread. Please don't fight no more over this subject...answer to the post if you think it is worth your time. I'm not native english speaker, so I must ask you to have a patience with me...I will improve my skills with time, my english is little rusty since it is long time when I use it.

kingspaz
September 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Futi, don't worry about it.

As to why I'm here...I just love adrenaline, I can't get enough of it. I also quite like chemistry and doing what most people can't even begin to comprehend.

I also think it's important to have knowledge such as this preserved before all its sources have been taken away.

K9
September 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Chemistry has always amazed me. Even as simple as A and B react with each other - the whole concept of it all. And the deeper and more advanced it gets all the better. The first time I ever learned about IR and NMR, I was just in awe. And actually doing the chemistry is all the better.

Corona
September 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
I’m a total duffer when it comes to chemistry. You can see from my posts how I stay away from the chemistry and explosives section of the forum. But that doesn’t mean I don’t find the subject fascinating.

My primary motivation for hovering here is being around a bunch of people who can talk science... or martial arts.. or weapons... without being over protective and pissy. When I was little, whenever I had something neat in my hands and some woman-type of person happened to see that, it would be “get rid of it or you’ll hurt yourself”.

Over here… none of that. For example, nobody in Rogue Sci cares if I run around with sharp objects and lose an eye or two (not that I plan to). I have gathered that many people here are missing body parts anyway, so its nothing unusual. :)

I come here for mental peace and to be among responsible adults.

nbk2000
September 2nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
"Grammer-Nazi"

That's me! :)

knowledgehungry
September 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
I'm into it because I like knowing stuff that no one else knows. Knowledge is power and I'm a powerhungry bastard. The only real reason I actually detonate explosives is to make sure everything worked, and I've got the right knowledge. I'm not a big fan of the bang.

PobodysNerfect
September 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM
There is nothing wrong with being a Grammar Nazi. I believe that occasional errors are made by the majority of people, however composing inane posts or repeating the same mistake several times is definitely inappropriate. Language is really the most precise communication tool we have and seeing dumbarses butcher it into oblivion makes me want to walk into schools with an axe and hammer the message into our children that way, cleaning out the gene pool in the process.

As for why I enjoy this 'stuff,' I would have to say that the fact that my mother was a chemistry teacher probably contributed somewhat. I have always had an interest in science and explosives are a very dynamic aspect of science. One can truly appreciate the practical applications of chemical knowledge while having a little bit of fun in the process. I have also had great chemistry teachers who have nurtured this interest, allowing me to examine the actual theory behind the experiments I have performed.

Pb1
September 5th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Aside from being a mild pyro and liking exploding things, for me, there are two reasons: I like chemistry and I like knowledge of the world around me. I'm not really so much into weapons, but I love the chemistry that is discussed here. I also love having the knowledge of what chemicals are in what, how/where you can find stuff, how stuff works, and how to make it work for me. When a normal person sees bleach, he thinks clean clothes. When I see it, I think chlorine gas, hydrazine... Knowledge is power, and while the brainwashed masses might fear it, I gather it up and use it.