View Full Version : washing ap

hairyjoe
August 12th, 2001, 04:29 AM
i dont readily have access to ether for washing my ap, and i was wondering if anyone knew of anything else that i could wash it in that would clean it.

DarkAngel
August 12th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Ether?
That would disolve your ap,water would be good but water + bicarbonate solution would even be better.

Also how do you guys filter your AP?
In my dreams i used to filter it with some
t-shirt around a beaker with a string on it to hold the filter on it's place.
And pour water on it till the beaker whas full and than carefully poured of the liqued and pour new water in it till i thought the AP whas clean.

But now i found out that if you cut the top + bottom of a coke bottle off
(so you have a big cillinder)
Attach the filter at one end putt some string on it and place this in your sink and you have a handy filtering system.

------------------
ÐarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1 (http://www.run.to/section1)
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

Demolition
August 12th, 2001, 08:15 AM
I always use a coffee filter to filter my AP.I just pour it in,let the water run out,wash with some bi-carb soda and water and then split along the join and put it on a bunch tissues.The tissues absorb the moisture and by the next day it is dry.

------------------
Yeah,what up Detroit
Demolition

Eric
August 12th, 2001, 01:56 PM
I've always felt that with how fast a tshirt filters the solution that it might be missing quite a bit of AP. Coffee filters maybe be alot slower but at least you know you collected it all. In my dreams I filter AP using two coffee filters to make sure one won't rip.

hairyjoe
August 12th, 2001, 11:27 PM
ok, i just tried making some ap today, and it didnt work at all. it never formed crystals. i used 100% acetone, 50mL; 3% H2O2, 300mL; and Rooto brand industrial strength drain cleaner (conc. h2so4). is it possible that the acid corrupted the experiment (i tried 2 times w no results)becaue the acid was impure? it was kinda murky brown in the container.

kingspaz
August 13th, 2001, 05:47 PM
the way you said that it sounds like you didn't leave it to stand in the fridge a few days to allow crystilisation. did you?

hairyjoe
August 13th, 2001, 06:56 PM
No, i didnt leave it in the fridge. i after adding the acid, i kept it in the icebath at 5 Celsius for about 1.5 hrs, then took it out and there was nothing. Should i leave it cooled for a few days? and what temp is so. also, i can buy muriatic acid at a local pool place, it looks to be straight HCl and water. does anyone know the conc. these things typically are, and if theyre pure?

EventHorizon
August 13th, 2001, 07:21 PM
What was you're procedure? You have to add the chemicals in the correct order IIRC.

CragHack
August 13th, 2001, 07:25 PM
there is no correct order, you can add anything to anything and still get it right. Hairyjoe, with those amounts and concentrations you will have to wait about a day to see crystals.

------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Anthony
August 13th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Jesus! you letf it for 1.5 hours??? With such low conc H2O2 it is not uncommon to not see any crystals for 24 hours!

When all the synthesises say "leave for 2-3 days for the crytsals to precipitate" didn't you think that they say 2-3days for a reason???

hairyjoe
August 13th, 2001, 11:29 PM
so i have to leave it in for a while eh? the directions said 1 to 3 hrs, but that was for 30% H2O2, so I guess i wasnt thinking. but i'll try it again and wait a while. would the fact that i'm using 3% H2O2 explain why there was no increase in heat whatsoever when i added the H2SO4, because the reaction proceeded so slowly? and when i leave the solution sitting for the crystals to form, do i have to keep it at 5C in the ice bath or can i put it in my fridge.

CragHack
August 14th, 2001, 12:27 AM
either will work. just make sure to put more ice in the bath to keep it cool as the ice melts, if you should choose this route.

------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

hairyjoe
August 15th, 2001, 06:49 PM
is it possible that getting your acetone/H2O2 solution TOO cold will hamper your results?

kingspaz
August 15th, 2001, 07:03 PM
i don't think it will hamper results. unless you drop the temperature to -50 or something...2-5*C should be fine.if its applied during the reaction the reaction will be slower but will work out fine.

the reason the solution has to be kept cool for a couple of days is to lower the solubility of AP in any remaining acetone. therefore allowing crystilisation to occur.

[This message has been edited by kingspaz (edited August 16, 2001).]

Tristin
August 23rd, 2001, 11:56 AM
I found that when I wash my AP in baking soda/water that it foams up allot and there is a
good amount of surface tension on the water!, and it takes a long time for it to settle to the
bottom, I used a small dab or drop of dishwashing liquid in the baking soda/water and it
broke the surface tension and the ap settled faster to the bottom of the cleansing vessel.

A_W
April 9th, 2002, 01:16 PM
I wonder about something. I have never made AP or HMTD, but I know that they are made with acid. I have neutralised nitrocellulose with bicarbonate, and it foamed alot. Wouldn`t some of the explosive mix with the foam and spread all over the place? Would`t this be extremely dangerous?? ...Or does it not produce any foam at all? As I am about to start making HMTD soon I want to know what happens.

Anthony
April 9th, 2002, 01:34 PM
You keep any foam contained within the beaker, either by using a beaker with sufficient spare volume to accomodate all the foaming, or by adding the HMTD/AP to the neutralising solution at a rate which keeps the foaming under control.

It doesn't foam much in my experience, but it depends how much acid you used in your procedure.

DBSP
April 9th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Leaving it for 1-3 hours sin't enaugh even with 30% H2O2 I use 35% and it takes between 4 and 5 hours for it to complete.

Rat Bastard
April 9th, 2002, 08:57 PM
I use a coffee filter, and I wash it with bicarb solution, than wash it with water several times, then one final time with isopropol alcohol. The alcohol cuts down on drying time.