View Full Version : electric spark ignition comps?

A-BOMB
October 23rd, 2001, 07:35 PM
I was wondering is there any comps that ignite reliably from a spark from say a grill igniter or taser, induction coil, photo flash gun? Or any explosive for that matter?

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Anthony
October 23rd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Flash containg metallic fuel (Al, Mg etc) should work well. Although you need something very sensitive to reliably ignite from such a low current as grill ignitor, possibly the stungun too and coil too.

Acetone Peroxide is sensitive to a 100Kv stungun, all the LE comps I tried weren't.

The photoflash cap will almost certainly set offanything flame/heat/spark sensitive. If you use conductive flash then the low voltage of the flash cap isn't a problem (no need for a spark gap).

------------------
"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet." - George W Bush - Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000

kingspaz
October 24th, 2001, 05:16 PM
could the addition of iron powder to the comp raise its sensitivity due to heat produced as its not a great conductor...or would the power be high enough from a grill ignitor?

BoB-
October 24th, 2001, 06:29 PM
If you manage to string a tiny steel wool filament between the 2 contacts it might work. Not to shoot you down, but a AA battery is cheaper than a big peizoid.

A-BOMB
October 24th, 2001, 10:18 PM
I think I might try this mix and see if it works 1 part Mg,2 parts Al, 3 parts kmo4, 2 parts powders steel wool. Does that sound like it would work?

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

mark
October 24th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Id just try 70/30 with the magnesium and forget the other stuff.

nbk2000
October 25th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Too much fuel, not enough oxidizer. POIT! Won't work.

------------------
"I have begun evil, I shall end evil. That is the end that awaits me."

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2k) to download the NBK2000 files and videos.

CodeMason
October 25th, 2001, 06:05 AM
What's kmo4?

------------------
Visit my website (in development): http://codemason.cjb.net

A-BOMB
October 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
I meant kmno4 (potassium pernerganate)sp?

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

SawedOff8gaugeman
October 28th, 2001, 09:31 AM
I guess it's permanganate ?

kingspaz
October 28th, 2001, 06:22 PM
well if we're going to get specific the correct (modern) name is Potassium manganate(VII) but i believe potassium permangante is the name used in industry to help avoid mistakes over the phone and things.

Agent Blak
October 29th, 2001, 06:01 PM
What about the addition of powdered flint. You can care full powder the flint from a Mg firestarter. You just knock it out with an Awl and hammer. clamp it in a vice get a fine cut file. file some then remove, file, remove, file, remove.

------------------
"I Always Have A Spade Or Two Handy"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

the freshmaker
October 30th, 2001, 10:11 AM
kingspaz: Potassium-manganate and Potassium-permangante is two different compounds! Like Sodium-oxide and Sodium-peroxide!

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

A-BOMB
October 30th, 2001, 12:01 PM
I just thought of it why don't I just get some old photo flash bulbs and break the glass on them take out the filement and gind it up and mix it with some other flash, then Presto, Changeo, instant eletric flash comp! TA DA!

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Snipie
October 30th, 2001, 05:04 PM
For my electrical igniters I use Christmas tree bulbs, they have a perfect shape, just make a little scratch right under the top (the bulbs I use have a little glass ball on top) and than break the top off, fill it with some flash powder and close the top with candle wax. A perfect water resistant igniter. Before you make one, strip the wires and twist them, that’s to avoid pre ignitions from static electricity. The great thing is that these things can be set off from just one battery (1.5 V).

BoB-
October 30th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Graphite is conductive, and offers a fair bit of resistance under current, a small amount of a strong oxidiser, and finely ground pencil lead will ignite under sufficient current/amps.

Peizoid's dont give any amps!

------------------
Teamwork is essential.
It lets you blame someone else.

A-BOMB
October 30th, 2001, 06:32 PM
BOB have you seen the video clip of my pizeroid as you call it on Ctrl_c's FPT yet if not go and watch it, and tell me if you think it has anoth amps.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

kingspaz
October 30th, 2001, 07:15 PM
how could he tell if it has a high enough amperage?!

A-BOMB
October 30th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Well I don't know how he would tell put in the part that the spark is 11/2 inches wide and it has enothe volts/amps/watts/whatever to kill a mouse i caught within 5 seconds, so I think it has enothe amps or volts or whatever.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

mark
October 30th, 2001, 08:35 PM
What you just described is not a piezeo electric sparker. A pizeo sparker can make a spark about 3/4 of an inch at 15,000 volts and some amps at like .002. I doubt it can kill a moth, much less a mouse. And I wouldnt like to find out either. Torturing animals is sick.

A-BOMB
October 31st, 2001, 12:14 PM
I was going smash him with a hammer any way teach them mices not to come into my house and live! And what I have made is a induction coil aka tazer.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Anthony
October 31st, 2001, 04:42 PM
A coil of any kind if a whole different kettle of fish to a piezo-electric crytsal, which emits a high voltage, low current electrical charge when squeezed.

It'd work if you had a large enough crystal and a sensitive enough explosive/composition. Afterall, the military apparently use them to set of the detonators for shaped charged warheads.

------------------
"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
...George W. Bush, Jr.