View Full Version : eMachineShop

bipolar
September 13th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I found a pretty cool thing I thought a lot of yall might be interested in for improvised weapons. It's an online machine shop with a very easy to use CAD program of its own. You just design anything and they have CNC machines of all types to do what ever you want. http://www.emachineshop.com

You design it, it automatically gives you a quote, you put in credit card info and it ships the exact part you designed right to your door. I think it is kind of expensive though. But you could concievably get a whole machine gun built this way. Like one of Bill Bill holmes guns or you could use this for some harder parts or whatever. You could probably easily get ar-15 m-16 receivers made this way. Just use the blueprints on biggerhammer.net

I was putting in the upper receiver of the .22 machine pistol but i decided that would be pretty easy to do myself, because I am getting a milling machine soon. I took part of a machine shop class at the local community college. I am taking an Autodesk Inventor 6(which I have a copy of) course next week. On inventor you can actually set mechanical assemblies in motion to test them out virtually and design in 3D.

ninja42
September 15th, 2004, 06:16 AM
You really think they will make any part of a firearm?
I usually have a lot of trouble thinking of an inconspicuous use of parts that I
let a machineshop make.
A barrel or a framepart is easily disguised as an engine part but hammers,grips and bolts are usually well known to an experienced machinist.

I think parts aren't shipped worldwide.

ninja.

nbk2000
September 16th, 2004, 06:22 PM
You could use it for something.

Parts for a biological agent disperser? Nozzles for HV rockets? There's always something. :)

Jacks Complete
January 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Just as a small update. I downloaded the demo program, and it is a very neat little program for doing 3D CAD, and working out what type of processes, etc. you will need.

However, the prices! $450 was about as low as I could get for a simple steel "barrel" machined from cheap mild steel bar, and turned down. It wasn't even funny. It was a large bore, and a short length (10cm), so would have taken anyone with a lathe five minutes to bore and then another ten to polish. I gave up at that point. I didn't waste my time trying to see if there was a way to rifle the barrel. Unless it is going to be a major investment, it seems that the costs for a one-off are too high, and the set-up charges are quite vast.

bipolar
January 18th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I also noticed that the prices were outrageous. you'd definently be better off going to a local machine shop or finding one online and getting to know the guy who works there or something. and just use anonymous email,tracphone, or something to contact him and pay with cash or money order and don't tell him your real name.

usually the machine shop types at least in my area are all gun owner, hunting types. I took part of a machine shop class at the local community college and all of them were wearing camo pants and from out in the country.

Jacks Complete
January 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hehehe. Probably because they are the only people who have room for two lathes, a wood lathe, a milling machine, pedastal grinder and two welders, and then actually get in the room!

For the prices eMachine charge, I kid you not, you could buy a small lathe and use it for two parts. You would have saved a little money, and still have a good little lathe.