View Full Version : Ferrates of any pyrotechnic use ??

ProdigyChild
September 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I happened to read in a chemistry book about ferrate. More precisely Potassion Ferrate K2Fe04. Cite:
"Pouring Fe chips into molten KNO3 leads to glowing and oxidation. From the aquatious solution, the deep red K2FeO4 can be isolated.
Ferrates are even stronger oxidizers than permanganates."

Has anybody experience with that stuff? Beeing stronger oxidizer than KMn04 sounds good!
KMnO4 + glycerol does not ignite as fast as I would like, even when KMnO4 is powdered. But maybe a ferrate - glycerol mix ???

K2FeO4 seems to be quite easy to produce from common chemicals :)

Bugger
September 18th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Ferrate(VI) is an oxidant of similar strength to permanganate(VII), and can be prepared on the small laboratory scale in the same ways, e.g. oxidation of aqueous solutions of Fe or Mn salts with alkaline hypochlorite or Cl2, or with alkaline Na or K plumbate(IV) or bismuthate(V).

It has similar uses to permanganate, e.g. in water purification, but it is more difficult to crystallize as a stable solid. I would think that a home-made explosive could be made with it in the same way, mixed with sucrose or glycerol.

Its intense reddish-purple color, like permanganate, is due to a charge-transfer band with the absorption maximum being slightly above the middle of the visible spectrum; that of permanganate (less reddish) is nearer the middle of the visible spectrum. But unlike permanganate, there is some contribution from transitions of the two remaining 3d electrons. It interferes with the colorimetric method of analysing for Mn by oxidation to permanganate.

Bugger

simply RED
September 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Ferates should burn with Al powder similar to thermite (only faster). Someone tested it?