View Full Version : Purchasing and Owning Land Anonymously

Psychlonic
September 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM
As I'm about to move out into the post-18 world, I've been thinking about a place to buy. What I want is a nice piece of land, perhaps with a stream running through it, good hunting, and out of the way so people don't freak out when I practice with my guns or detonate explosives.
More importantly however, I want the place to be off the grid as much as possible. Since I know next to nothing about buying land anonymously, I tried searching google but to no avail.

My questions are as follows;

1. How can I own the land and not have to pay taxes for it?
If I have to pay taxes, wouldn't that let the government know where the area is? Of course, there's also the issue of losing money and all... :D
2. Can land ownership be transferred from one person to another without official involvement?
The idea I had was to have someone else I know wouldn't screw me over buy the land, then simply sign it over to me and I pay them the money. Is this possible?

I guess this is mostly directed at land owners or those who have learned about buying and owning land. Any leads would help, as well as any legal loopholes I might be able to exploit.

kingspaz
September 20th, 2004, 07:47 AM
If there is no 'official' involvement then how can you 'officially' own it?

To own land legally it has to be purchased legally. If somebody who owns the land 'signs' it over to you then the land will still be legally theirs since on the governement records will still show that they own it. The governement is the central figure that allocates and records who owns what. It has to be this way to stop people putting up a fence around a piece of land and claiming it is theirs.

Boomer
September 20th, 2004, 11:13 AM
You would have to buy SQUARE MILES in the middle of nowhere to use HEs without neighbours calling the cops.

Even just for shooting the property has to be quite big, with earth dams around to protect others (bullets fly far...)

Bugger
September 20th, 2004, 11:23 AM
It is ironic that you should say that, Kingspaz, living in the U.K.. I understand that, in the U.K., if someone squats on property for so many years, either 7 or 12 I think, without either being charged rent or ordered to be evicted, one can claim "squatter's rights" and claim title to the property. Not long ago, there was a case in London about a man who had been living in a council-owned townhouse for that many years, without either being charged rent or ordered to leave, and he successfully applied to the court to be given the title to the property. There was nothing the local council could do about it.

Corona
September 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Psychlonic: Register an off-shore company.. or even something in Delaware (famous for companies of convenience). Let that company own your property, if it is allowed.

Off-shore companies need not even be in your name. The usual method is that they give you pre-signed resignations of the directors, who are acting as your front. If you don't like them, you can get rid of them any time. No one will know, you're in charge.

Don't do this.. ever... without a trusted lawyer. You *might* even get tax breaks with this method... the lawyer will know how.

Over here, people use an even simpler method. They buy and sell land using a "power of attorney". The Govt. can never be sure who the end user is. The land could have changed hands a dozen times even. Of course the Govt. has many ways of discouraging something like this, but thats another topic.

Psychlonic
September 20th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Boomer, just take my word on this - I'm already out in the middle of nowhere.

Corona, good idea. I hadn't even considered talking to a lawyer for land ownership concerns. I may even get some new ideas as well.

James
September 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I beleive that this is aq subject covered by 'How to be invisible'. I also believ that NBK2000 has scanned for his upcoming DVD. The idea is to purchase and title the land in the name of a LLC that you own. Check this (http://www.howtobeinvisible.com) out.

Please remember to verify your links in future - Anthony

swoonpappy
September 22nd, 2004, 11:08 AM
If you want to be in the middle of no where, in a place where people don't care if they hear big booms etc... move to Canada. The best place would most likely be Blairmore in the Crowsnest Pass. That's where I have a place, we have 2200 acres of land there so you can basically do whatever you want. I'm always hearing gun shots and explosions from people hunting and blowing out rocks.