View Full Version : KNO3

SATANIC
October 24th, 2001, 09:14 AM
i have seen a method ( years ago, before i knew better) from jolly roger, who detailed the extraction of potassium nitrate from soil. being kewl crap (usually from jolly roger) i dismissed, it, but i have just found it again in the white resistance manual which does have some good ideas. i'm now thinking there may be some truth in it. is there?

rikkitikkitavi
October 24th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Certain bacterias found in soil produces nitrate ions.

I read something about this in a book somewhere, now forgotten, that in
the old days when wars were fought with black powder , kings often
declared that some farmers should prepare strategic salpetre soil.
I remember something about a recepie involving mixing meat and soil
(nitrogen rich ) so the bacterias had something to feed on. It also included
potash. (K2CO3) Of course the guys who did this had absolutely now
idea about bacterias.

After some time the soil was leached by water and the water evaporated.

sounds like a messy business since you can buy salpetre by the bag today
as fertilizers.

/rickard

10fingers
October 24th, 2001, 10:40 AM
That's probably how the black plague got started.
I do believe this method would work but it is a lot of work. It's also in the Improvised Munitions Handbook. The nitrogen comes from the decaying animal or vegetable matter and the potassium would come from the wood ashes.
You can buy 50 lbs of potassium nitrate for $25.00.

BoB-
October 24th, 2001, 06:24 PM
I've dreamed this procedure before, the yeild sucks.

If truly the ion exchange is nitrogen, and potassium (carbonate?) then bulk materials like nitrogen fertilizers would increase yeild

CodeMason
October 24th, 2001, 08:07 PM
A lot of the Jolly Roger's stuff is ripped straight from the typed up version of the Improvised Munitions Blackbook. Not only is he a k3wl fag, he's a blatant plaguarist too.

------------------
Visit my website (in development): http://codemason.cjb.net

SATANIC
October 24th, 2001, 09:37 PM
i understand the impracticality of the process, but it is the ony way i would be able to get it at least till next year. i'm willing to give it a try, as it's simple at least, apart from the pure alcohol needed. but i've got large amounts of metho lying around, so that should do .

will small amounts of methanol affect it?

the_wingman
October 25th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Before you try to extract KNO3 from soil you should go to a garden center. If they don't have saltpeter you might get an other nitrate (NH4NO3,Ca(NO3)2,..). I'm sure you're able to get KCl too. Just mix it and cool down.

kingspaz
October 25th, 2001, 06:09 PM
i was thinking if this was possible a while ago. i don't see why it isn't really. what i would do is find the most fertile soil i can, or compost if i had any. then i'd carry out the extraction process. after i had the crude K, NH4 nitrate crystals (i assume it would be a mixture of both) i would react it with lo salt (KCl) to form fairly pure KNO3.
well thats what i would do but i don't need to because i can buy AN which i make KNO3 from.

green beret
October 26th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Satanic, where do you plan on getting your KNO3 from?

SATANIC
October 26th, 2001, 09:17 PM
green beret, that's the problem, i can't get any. i have done my homework, and i know the only local supplier sells in 50kg bags for around $50. (same size and price for AN as well) but i haven't got my drivers liscence yet, and mum doesn't really approve of my activities, so, i'm trying to do my best and improvise.

yes, i can get KCl, but in small quantities, and fairly expensive.

green beret
October 26th, 2001, 10:10 PM
Maybe I could send you some cash And we go halves in a bag(when you find a way to get it) or maybe AN. How much KCl can you get and for what price?
PS do you wanna talk on yahoo chat sometime? I would love to talk with an Aussie pyro, like myself. The people on that chat room are normally a bunch of halfwits.

[This message has been edited by green beret (edited October 26, 2001).]