View Full Version : Sulfuric in Oz

cyclonite4
October 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Recently i have been looking around for sources of sulfuric acid in australia and had no luck. The chemical sold in todays drain cleaners is just a 10% NaOH. I have also heard other people complaining that the only source is car batteries. While searching for KNO3 on google I searched at the city farmers website, dissapointed (no KNO3 :( ) but I looked in the pool chemicals section and found they have sulfuric acid although im not sure of the price.

Heres the link:
http://www.cityfarmers.com.au/Content.aspx?PID=6&SMID=30

It says its low fume sulfuric so its probably been diluted but it could easily be concentrated by boiling.

Stone
October 17th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Generally, H2SO4 is industrial grade drain cleaner and NaOH is commercial grade. You need to look a little harder for industrial strength.

lucas
October 17th, 2004, 12:56 AM
it's cheaper t go to a science distributer. www.crownsci.com.au allows guest to use the online ordering, or you can phone up. eg Chemsupply sells 2.5l for $46
mitre 10 sells 1l for $40

your call

xyz
October 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM
It's even cheaper to find an industrial supplier, I know one near me that sells 15 litres of industrial grade 98% H2SO4 for $7.50AUD plus a $10.00AUD container deposit (i.e. you pay $17.50 the first time, and only $7.50 each time you take the container back for a refill).

Go look in the phone directory under industrial chemicals...

cyclonite4
October 18th, 2004, 12:48 AM
thanks xyz... thats pretty damn cheap, ill just go look through the yellow pages, except one problem I have is that I am only 16, and I think that they will be suspicous if a 16yo needs 15L of industrial drain opener :(

NotTheMahdi
November 29th, 2004, 04:16 AM
The tradesman themed Mitre 10's sell 1l of concentrated H2So4 for $40, along with MEK. Both of these things were unable to be found at the largest Bunnings Warehouses in Sydney.

cyclonite4
December 9th, 2004, 09:17 AM
The tradesman themed Mitre 10's sell 1l of concentrated H2So4 for $40, along with MEK. Both of these things were unable to be found at the largest Bunnings Warehouses in Sydney.

You can substitute MEK with PVC pipe primer (the ones without the dye), they are almost pure except for the ones without the dye. They sell it at bunnings and hugall&hoyle.

draco aster
December 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM
I find my h2so4 at chemical supply houses such as "CQ Chemicals And Paints"

Found in Central Queensland

Barcy
December 28th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Hi draco aster,

You might be disclosing a bit too much of your actual location, especially after that nut case down in the Gold Coast apartments drew a lot of attention to DYI weaponary and explosives. But as I do know the general area and have shopped around while visiting your area, should your supply at "CQ paints and chemicals" dry up and if you are willing to do the car battery bit. I found the local dump a great place to shop, very large (so large that I can bearly lift them) dead batteries, full of acid for $1 each. I just say I am wanting to grab some crap batteries to trickle charge and for my electric fence, not that the fellow selling them gave a shit. Not the best or purest process, but bloody cheap and not very obvious. Now all I have to do is work out what to do with all this lead, perhaps a lot of reef sinkers to be molded or some electrolosis of some sodium chlorate.