View Full Version : EFP tutorial??

Ropik
October 28th, 2004, 03:08 PM
I searched around on the Forum, on the net and in the books, but I was not able to found good informations about this type of charge. Everywhere are texts like " explosion turns the metal plate into semi-solid dart with high penetration, and thats it", but accuracy is scarce. What ratio of plate/explosive weight is best? Which metals are capable of this projectile forming(I know, copper is best, but improvisation rules the world)? Optimal thickness/diameter of the plate? Which shapes of plate are useable? Is the "copper slug charge" in Black book companion functional?

Here are questions, many thanks for replies.

Doug
October 29th, 2004, 04:48 AM
This page has some standoff distances for various size and types of charge, unfortunately, they are just labeled as "small" or "large"
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m303.htm

I found a link that named tantalum, iron and copper as having been tested, again, no specifics.

You may want to try searching for "Misznay-Schardin effect"

Misznay Schardin. (Jane's Mines and Mine Clearance 2002-2003) Named after its inventors, an effect used for the penetration of armor. A shallow dished metal plate (normally copper or steel) is forged into a projectile by the detonation of a charge. The fragment, sometimes called a self-forging fragment or explosively formed projectile/penetrator (EFP), has sufficient density and velocity to penetrate armor at ranges of several meters. The range makes the Misznay Schardin plate ideal for use in off-route mines, while the low weight and compact profile have led to its widespread use in modern scatterable anti-tank mines.

Edited for dodgy spelling.

Ropik
October 30th, 2004, 05:58 AM
I searched for M-S effect, but again - nothing really useful turned up.

David Harber's book Improvised land mines says that the april 1987 issue of Military Technology magazine has good article about EFP. MILTECH online, anyone?