View Full Version : C-4 In A Blender?

10fingers
October 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Hey u guys, I was just at a sight called TOTSE and I lurned how to make C-4. You use sum RXD stuff and polyisobubblene. Is that right? Then it say to mix the two you use a blender. I wonder if this is safe? And my mom would get raelly pissed if I recked her blender. What I want to know is can you use a blender and if so, what speed, mix, blend, or puree? It's sounds easy to make though.
Thanks

A-BOMB
October 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM
10fingers this is a joke right?, or did you have some bad(or good in some case)pills?

nbk2000
October 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Either he's getting stupid, or let someone on his computer without having first logged out of here. :mad:

megalomania
October 29th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Actually I wouldn't think a blender would be capeable of detonating a high explosive like C-4, but I would not want to be proven wrong :)

FireFly
October 30th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Somewhat interesting:
These are some brief synthesis from "The Preparatory Manual of Explosives."
"STANDARD EXPLOSIVES C-4/RDX PLASTIC BONDED EXPLOSIVE COMPOSITION; Place 602 grams of RDX into a beaker and then add 15.3 grams of polypropylene glycol and then 80 milliliters of water, and then rapidly blend the mixture for 1 hour. After 1 hour, place the mixture into a shallow pan, and then dry the mixture at 50 Celsius for 24 hours. After the mixture is dried, press into sheets under high pressure, or press into any desirable mold or container under high pressure. For demolitions use, remove the pressed explosive from the container and then wrap in paper, plastic or cardboard. The explosive should be pressed into rectangular containers or molds of 2 inches width by 5 to 11 inches length. Requires blasting cap or detonator for initiation."
That still never stated that the explosive should be blended in a blender, furthermore, You can't believe everything you read, but I though that was somewhat interesting.
Something else:
"STANDARD EXPLOSIVES SEMTEX/PETN EXPLOSIVE COMPOSITION; Into a BLENDER equipped with plastic stir blade, place 1000 grams of RDX, and then 10 grams of calcium carbonate, followed by 100 grams of polypropylene glycol. Thereafter, begin rapidly stirring the mixture, and rapidly blend the mixture for 2 hours at room temperature. After 2 hours of blending, slowly add 600 grams of PETN, while continuing to rapidly blend the mixture. After the addition, continue to stir the mixture for about 3 hours, and thereafter, place the doughy mixture into a sheet press-extruding machine, and extrude the explosive through an opening 10 millimeters thick, by 100 centimeters long (thickness, and width may vary) into 1 meter length sheets, under high pressure. Then cut the 1-meter length sheets into ten 100-millimeter length sheets. Note: Larger sheets may be cut if desired. The idea here is to prepare sheets of this semtex composition so they can be pressed into munitions, or used as sheet explosives for demolitions use. For demotions use, the sheets should be at least 10 millimeters thick, by 30 centimeters by 30 centimeters. For munitions, such as shells, or land mines, it should be folded over and over, and pressed there into under high pressure. Semtex should not be used in supersonic projectiles. Requires blasting cap or detonator for initiation."

10fingers
October 30th, 2004, 03:35 AM
This post was a joke, I thought we needed a little levity. I was expecting to get seriously flamed. I'll try to be more serious from now on.
Interesting post though firefly.

tmp
October 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Blenders CAN be very low speed, like the one I used for making pizza
dough many years ago. I wouldn't try mixing RDX in a blender that
moves at high speed though !

xyz
October 30th, 2004, 11:40 PM
If anyone feels like trying, there is an invention known as an extension cord and you may find a bunch of them quite useful.

FUTI
November 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM
puree...I said make bloody puree!;)
well that will at the end remain of those totse guys anyway!
I do know that you can machanical shape some explosives, but blender at least in a common sense of the word is to risky. High pressure on blade impacting material, friction that can cause static electricity, and heating that can't be avoided due to mechanical work make this a one way ticket to other world (and every dimension:)).

nbk2000
November 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Blender isn't the right word for the type of mixer used for preparing the composition posted by firefly.

This is though.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Dec-18-Wed-2002/photos/lifestyle.jpg

It has slow speed and high torque, suitable for mixing very thick 'dough' ;) when used with the dough hook attachment.

Though you'll be paying $300+. :eek: But, compared to the cost of a funeral or double prosthetic arm replacements and a seeing eye dog...

Boomer
November 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
I have used a fast running (blade) type food blender for some mixes already. But only for VERY insensitive stuff, like pure AN, UN or AN/starch which I use for ANFO base (to absorb liquid fuels).

The only danger I can imagine is a dust explosion in the last mix from the starch. With only one litre air (0.25g oxygen) inside, this will not be too bad - and won't trigger the AN!

I nearly forgot: I DID mix 100g of MHN in this blender at highest setting ("milk shake"). But that was suspended in over a litre of bicarb solution. Not even a No 8 would set that off at 90% water in the slurry .... :p

The powder got so fine it completely rose to the top - I never had such a stable batch :)

FUTI
November 2nd, 2004, 02:53 PM
this picture NBK2000 posted solved the mistery...this is some kind of mixer used for making cakes or something that have high strength and mixing surface(blade area) and low mixing speed. That will do the job because it is basicaly same as the job you would do using a spoon and slowly mix it yourself.