View Full Version : translation software

cursed-flesh
November 6th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations on translation software? Preferably for spanish and german. I've P2P'd my a** off and all I've found that looks good (judging by megabytes) is "power translator pro". Does anyone know if its good? I know there is software out there that not only translates word for word but also rearranges the grammatical structure so sentences aren't backwards and mixed up. Does "power translator pro" do that? If anyone can recommend another program which does this that's available on a particular P2P network (I've been searching the ed2k and kad network) or on an Ftp site somewhere could you please tell me? If I manage to get a good one I will be sure to put it on the Ftp. Thanks

tom haggen
November 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Its called a spanish english dictionary silly bastard.

festergrump
November 6th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I'd be interested in that software, also, though it's almost never the direct translation. I've searched Hi and Low and found nothing promising as far as software goes for cheap (or free) that works well. I used to use www.babelfish.com but it has since turned into a pay site which seems to no longer translate, but offer tutorials for a price???! (please correct me if I am wrong).

If your interest is worthwhile you can learn the basics of the spanish language HERE (http://www.studyspanish.com/tutorial.htm) for free. This has helped me out very much since I am the only permanent unilingual person in my workplace. (the owner and secretary are from Costa Rica, the finishman and laminate man from El Salvador, and the beaners who put my shit together are from Mexico... Me, USA born and bred). It hasn't taken me but a month to learn the basics, but you'll need some interaction (this usually isn't much of a problem in the US, unfortunately).

As far as German goes, I'd do a Google search or ask really nicely to a Mod or member from Germany to give you a hand.

Tom Haggen,

I understand more than most your blunt reply. But it's not as if he's asking in the water-cooler to learn English from German or Spanish, eh?
If you live in the USA you need to speak the fucking language...PERIOD.

IMHO: Learning another language can only help you in the long-run. (My case in point: When at work and the spanish bastards are talking shit about me, I smile, nod, and pretend not to have a clue what they are talking about. I fuck shit up for them when they "neccessito" shit they have messed up beyond repair only because I happen to get the flavor of all the shit they said about me. "Yo no comprende...(fester scratches head). Habla engles, por favor..." (no answer). I shrug and walk away, owner of company will have to come later and tell me the shithead fucked the part up and needs another, oh, well... (I LOVE being the guy who sets the tempo of the beaner dance!).

If you think I'm rude for being this way, go to a country where the native language is other than English and see how well YOU are received... I'm only returning the favor.

SweNMFan
November 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
If you think I'm rude for being this way, go to a country where the native language is other than English and see how well YOU are received... I'm only returning the favor.

Hmm I never had trouble even that english isn't my native language.. but I did start learn english when I was about 8 years old.. When im in britain they usaly thinks Im from the US (to many hours watching US tv shows)

akinrog
November 7th, 2004, 06:21 AM
If you want serious translation, you may forget about translation engines (one of which is Systrans I believe). Translation is a business which requires cognigital abilities of a translator.
However if you need something to enable you to understand the text roughly, the translation engines (software) may serve for your purpose. Regards.

ajt
November 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Having used Systran in the past to converse with a french guy (over email) it seemed to do the trick,however it is not a 100% exact translation(converted it back and it was not exactly as origionaly written).The version I got(Sytran Personal all lanuages) runs on 98 but does not run on XP unfortunately.
Systran Premium v 4.05 is avaiable on suprnova.org though its attempts to access the internet are annoying.
Business translator v5 is also on suprnova
If it is for simple communication it wil probably suit you but I wouldnt give it too many long words.
Regards
AJ