View Full Version : CNC (or G code) help....please?

festergrump
November 8th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know of a good CAM program (very inexpensive or completely hacked) that might translate a computer generated model into G code for a Biesse Rover 18 CNC machining center or similar? Mastercam would be ideal but retails for around 13k US dollars!

Search results revealed nothing relevant. (fricken expensive).

I know this is a crazy question and a bit off topic for this forum, but I feel there just might be a member or two here (maybe many) who has a lot more CNC expirience than I do who might help me out a little, hence my posting at this forum in the WC. I have searched woodworking forums dealing with CNC matters until my eyes cross with no solutions. (all other forums love to tell you how and where to spend the countless thousands of $ you DON'T have and your boss won't go out on a limb for). So: I turn to my fellows...

The problem is that I am much more savvy to AutoCad (2000) and have a minimal amount of expirience on our Biesse CNC (I managed to get it up and running with little help; managing as much as line boring and "sawing in X", pre-drilling holes for cabinet stretchers and bottoms, hinges, drawer slides, horizontal bores for dowelling, ect...Enough to get most jobs done, but my problem is the G code neccesary to route out splines and ellipses which is far beyond my grasp without a translating program or knowledge of code). We are a custom shop dealing sometimes in much more advanced projects than commercial cabinetry. I hate to have to turn my back on the CNC and resort to a bandsaw and whirlwind sander (when there's a perfectly good point to point machine I can utilize!).

I've tried several times to import a linear design from ACAD in the R12 or R13 .dxf format to the controller (via floppy [no serial link] which is supposed to work on most systems) to no avail. My only other option to a CAM program is to bite the bullet and learn G code. I have even exhausted my searches on google for a free way to do THIS! :(

Mods, if I am in err for asking this question here I extend my deepest apologies. Please, remove this thread forthwith.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jacks Complete
November 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a rather neat machine. G-code is generally just nasty to play with, from what I hear.

http://www.imagetogcode.com/ might work, and there are some tools linked to from http://www.dakeng.com/shoptronics.html which might be useful.

Hope this helps.

festergrump
November 9th, 2004, 07:30 PM
JC,

I cannot thank you enough! The second link looks more promising to me for what my immediate requirements are at work, but the first link really gets me thinking about my own projects after hours. I haven't had time yet to fully devour all the info from the Image To G Code site or try their shareware. I will try both programs, though I assure!

The IMG to G Code software has some fantastic abilities that I've seen almost matched on a ten year old Morbidelli setup with a veining bit in place of the standard router/cutter at a rival shop. I know it can be done on an older machine like our "Beasty" so I'm psyched to find out just what this little jewel can handle! :D

Thank you once again for your reply and input. I shall put both products to the test very soon...

tom haggen
November 20th, 2004, 03:23 AM
What do you need to know?

G00= rapid
G03= arc
G01- linear feed
M03= spindle on
m05= spindle off

Damm you just made me realize how rusty I was.
Anyway you need someone to translate G-code I'm your man.
Oh yes I'm quite proficient with master cam also. But I'm better with solidmolding software. MasterCam is a pain in the ass to draw with.

festergrump
November 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the offer, Tom.

I'm starting to understand how this G code works a little better, now. I'm drawing simple cutouts and such on ACAD then transfering them to G code via the Ace Converter software (from the second link JC mentioned). Reading the code thats spit out and disecting it helps considerably.

I've yet to try to imput a design other than manually into our controller due to lack of time, though. We've been really busy on a huge (but simple) doctor's office we're running behind on.

If I should have any questions, you wouldn't mind and e-mail or two from me?

I appreciate your reply.

tom haggen
November 21st, 2004, 02:58 AM
I would be happy to answer your questions. I cant contribute enough the this website and all of its members. Also, I might be able to scan a sheet out of one of my old text books giving the definitions of most of the numeric codes in g code. I have a few hours experience on CNC machines ;)

festergrump
November 25th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Tom Haggen,

I was going to send you an e-mail, but I believe Mega had to disable the e-mail functions of the board to insure we don't go down again. I was wondering if you'd try to find, scan, and send a copy of those codes to me... (I don't have your e-mail addy).

I can be reached at vectorinspector@yahoo.com .

Thanks in advance.

tom haggen
November 26th, 2004, 10:23 PM
When I finish this term I will look through my books and see if I can find a good source. ;)

tom haggen
December 14th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I'm just going to type this out to save the hassle of having to play email tag.

G00 (rapid traverse)
G01 (linear interpolation)
G02 (circular interpolation-clockwise)
G03 (circular interpolation-counter clockwise)
G04 (programmed dwell)
G17 (X-Y arc plane selection)
G18 ( X-Z arc plane selection)
G19 (Z-Y arc plane selection)
G20 (inch programming units)
G21 (millimeter programming units)
G28 (return to machine home position)
G29 (return from machine home position)
G40 (cancel cutter compentsation)
G41 (cutter compensation left)
G42 (cutter compensation right)
G43 (select tool height offset)
G44 (select tool height offset)
G49 (cancel tool height offset)
G54-59 (work plane selection)
G73 (Drill cycle with chip breaker)
G74 (left hand tapping cycle
G76 (boring cycle with orient and rapid retract)
G80 (canned cycle cancel)
G81 (standard drilling cycle)
G82 (drilling cycle with dwell)
G83 (peck drilling cycle)
G84 (right-handed tapping cycle)
G85 (standard boring cycle)
G86 (boring cycle rapid retract)
G87 (boring cycle manual retract)
G88 (boring cycle manual retract with dwells)
G89 (standard boring cycle with dwell)
G90 (absolute coordinate system)
G91 (incremental coordinate system)
G92 (shift work coordinate system)

M00 (unconditional program stop)
M01 (optional program stop)
M02 (program end)
M03 (spindle on clockwise)
M04 (spindle on counter clockwise)
M05 (spindle off)
M06 (automatic tool change)
M07 (coolant on-mist)
M08 (coolant on-flood)
M09 (coolant off)
M19 (oriented spindle stop)
M30 (program end and reset)
M41 (low gear)
M42 (high gear)
M97 (execute a local subroutine)
M98 (execute an external sub program)
M99 (return control to main program)

Thanks for the review, though it doesn't matter, since I am a chemistry major now :rolleyes:

festergrump
December 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch for taking the time for me, Tom. I'm sure that will help out quite a bit. Much appreciated. A chem major sounds like alot more fun!

[EDIT: Looking over the list, it seems these are commands interpreted from a particular CNC center. Aren't many commands missing? What were you trained on? I still very much appreciate the help, though.]

tom haggen
December 15th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I left a couple G codes out but unless your doing rotary axis maching thats pretty much every thing you really need. Unless your a rich guy I doubt you have rotary axis machining capabilities. Although I'm a little rusty on the subject, so I will look through my notes some more and see if I find any usefull information. If I'm not mistaken I believe those types of G and M codes are quite universal. I was trained on a fanuk type control.