View Full Version : tetranitromethane synth???

me234
November 9th, 2004, 01:33 AM
OK ladies and gentlemen.
Nitromethane is manufactured by the industrial CH4 + HNO3 method, or by the laboratory means of CH3Cl + AgNO2 --> CH3NO2 + AgCl

So, would the same lab method hold true and work for:
CCl4 + 4AgNO2 --> C(NO2)4 + 4AgCl

I'm thinking that this might be some what useful. I haven't worked out anything like heats of formation or shit like that, I was just inspired by the idea.

Any thoughts on where one might happen across large (or small, I'm not greedy) amounts of silver nitrite.

Any references to literature would be wonderful.

Marvin
November 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Wont work, read Urbanski for working methods, volume 1 IIRC. Its extremely toxic. I was under the impression we had a TNM thread allready so try some searching.

Silver nitrite you would have to make, and the sane chemist recycles the silver anyway. There is a method in inorganic syntheses, but I dont have access to them.

Microtek
November 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
In my opinion, trinitromethane is more interesting anyway. There are methods described here or on the ftp which involves reacting isopropanol or acetone with strong ( 95+ % ) nitric acid at elevated temperatures. I have carried out one of these synthesises and managed to produce some trinitromethane which I used for hydrazinium nitroformate and aminotetrazole nitroformate. The procedure is pretty unnerving; the acid makes small cracks and pops and evolves NOx when you add the substrate. The yields are not particularly impressive either.