View Full Version : Firetruck Flamethrower

Psychlonic
November 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
These days it seems like all government surplus is cheap as hell. As soon as something new and improved comes along, the current equipment is sold dirt cheap to the public. Hell, I can remember seeing an old battleship being sold for about $10,000 (sans guns). Firetrucks are no exception here. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a good one for around two grand.
Let's say one decided to buy one and use it not for fighting fire, but creating fire. Here's what I envision:
Ford C900 with steel plates welded to it to prevent fuel leakage, mobility damage, and personnel death. This model has a 500 gallon tank - filled with a 50/50 mix of gasoline and oil. All the crap that isn't needed, like the ladders and whatnot, have been removed to reduce weight. The crew seat behind the cab has raised steel plates to armor the crew, and the control panel is also enshrouded. A small propane tank has also been added, as well as a hose which mounts to the front of the main tank hose - this is of course to ignite the incendiary mixture as it comes out of the hose initially.
It would take around 6 people to man this vehicle - 1 to operate the control panel, 1 to driver, a passenger to lay down small arms fire, and 3 personnel in the crew seat behind the cab to lay down small arms fire and to direct the flame.
Constructed properly, I see this as a massive weapon for use against something such as a barracade of police. Imagine if one of these came up behind the police line during the infamous L.A. bank robbery shootout!
My main concerns are as follows:
- Will the hoses be able to hold motor oil and/or gasoline? I know the exterior is canvas, but I'm unsure if there is a liner.
- Could the flame go back into the tank as the pressure decreased? I imagine not, but I'm too unfamiliar with the physics involved here to say for sure.
- Price. 250 gallons of gasoline and 250 gallons of motor oil will cost approximately $1300. Obviously not for playing around. What's more, you couldn't just drive the truck up to a pump without someone knowing exactly what the thing is for. You'd need an inconspicious method of transportation. Or just hijack a tanker :D

A-BOMB
November 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I know the army had these little "fire" truck like trailers that you could tow behind something they had a somthing like a 25hp engine on them and a 100 or so gallon tank. You could place on in the bed of a large pickup truck and have a guy back there manning the "flame turret" I think it would be easier than converting a firetruck.

nbk2000
November 28th, 2004, 09:56 PM
I'm thinking somebody here need to die very soon...